MH bulb configuration for best color.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently aquired a dual 400W 10K MH with 2X96W PC 03s. I was looking through "Aquarium Corals" and noticed a pic in the lighting comparison that showed 20Ks with 6700K PCs. Does anyone have something similar to this they could send me some pics of? I am wondering if it will provide more daytime flouresence than what I am running now and look more natural. I want the tank to look its best, but don't really want to buy $500.00 in bulbs making that distinction. Thanks everyone.

There is a thread showing comparison pictures I just don't recall where, but it's here i promise :D . I think is is a matter of personal preference. Some will argue better growth out of this... or better blah out of that...

Personally I like 10Ks with 03 actinic blues.

R-

hey
i just upgraded from 250w aquiline 10k bulbs to 400 watt radiums. it was the single best decision of my life. the 400w radiums are the absolute nicest bulbs out there. you'll never forgive yourself if you dont get them...at least in my opinion :)

they give a beautiful ice blue whitey color. everything looks so crisp. its gorgeous.
hope that helps. by the way the bulbs are about 83 a piece, give or take a few bucks

They also need to be replaced every 6-8 months ;)

The combo of 20K and 6700K, is IMO, simply trying to get the best of both worlds, growth and color. Right now I run 175W 10K + PC actinics, was running 12K (and loved the color, but the CoralVue bulbs ignitor took a dive and had to switch back to 10K), when my new balast and bulb get here, I'm retroing my pendant to 250W and upping the spectrum to 20K XM bulb. It's a large increase for the small tank, but I'm hoping to do the same, increase the par slightly (for better growth) and increase color temp for better color.

Well im making a coral order today and they have 400W 20K XMs for $69.00 So basically with my refund from that RTN cats paw last week im looking at $90.00 for both bulbs. I just have 0 experience with MH as it is, and didn't know if I would actually see any difference if I swapped from what I have to the 20Ks and 6700s. One more thing, does anyone have any input on the effect I would get if I left in one 10K and swapped out the other for a 20K xm? The tank is 48" and the bulbs are twords the center of the tank rather than mounted in the far sides of the hood.

On a 2 bulb configureation, I don't think I would mix color temps. One side will be markedly yellow and the other markedly blue. On three or 4, I might give it a shot, especially 4 on a 6 ft tank, where there is alot of ovelapping of the ilumination, but on a 4ft 2 bulb config...I don't think you would like the look. I would use the same color temp. If you don't like the 10Ks, you might look at a 14K or the 20K, but realize the 20Ks will be very blue till they burn in (about 100 hours) especially with the actinics.

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

That link will give you an idea of the different bulb colors after burn in, but it is important to note those bulbs are 250W not 400W and there may be slight differences in the actual color when the wattage is changed.

Back
Top Bottom