MH: ever have to replace sockets w/ new bulbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
i just recieved my new 400w Coral Vue 10Ks and the one fit perfectly and the other would not screw in at all. After asking Vue about it, they said that the heat from the Iwasaki's warped the threads in my sockets. The Iwasaki's still screw in just fine. So if Vue is using the industry standard size mogul base why would it be any different than the Iwasaki? They have offered a new socket at cost or a refund. I hate to go with a different bulb because I liked the color of the one that did fire up. However, now I have to spend more money for a new socket, and I am not convinced that will fix the problem. Anyone ever have this problem before?

that doesnt sound too bad if its at cost... you can get one for 8-10 dollars at any electric store, price may varry, but its just a 400w mogul right so any 400 watt sould work... i have 1 iwasaki and 2 hamilton's one of my bulbs did screw in a bit tight. have you tried to swap the bulbs, the one thats screwed in with the one that wont, like will both screw in to the same socket? if so then yes replace the other one. and no i havent had this problem. i havent changed lights yet... good luck if you have any questions about wiring up a new socket or whatever let me know i should be able to help.

I agree with Jere, if you have to get another one, go to Home Depot, Lowes, or any other local electrical store. You should be able to pick up a mogul MH socket there.

I guess it is possible that the bulb warped the socket, but it just doesn't seem likely. Typically those sockets are rated for bulbs up to 1500w. Can't believe it would warp with a 400w bulb in there. But I guess anything could happen.

At any rate, it neither one of the CoralVue bulbs will fit into the socket, I guess you will need to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom