MH over a 55 with a center brace...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canyon15

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to put a single 250W over my tank but to center it would mean I would have a bad shadow in the tank. Any solutions? I am not keen on cutting the center brace. What I was thinking was to place the MH on one side and have my pc's cover over the other side. It is a squat tank so only 36" long and I really don't want to look into buying a second. All input, as usual, is always appreciated!

I wouldn't do it I do not think you would be happy in the end. A 55 is not that deep. I would look into 2 150's.

Dont cut that center brace it is there for a reason. People have done it but I would not be able to sleep at night..JMO

Tomd said:
Dont cut that center brace it is there for a reason. People have done it but I would not be able to sleep at night.

Just wanted to quote that.
A lot of people will give you advice on cutting out braces from tanks and stands, but personally it's not something I would do... it's just asking for trouble.

Tom's right, cutting is not recommended and the heat from the MH will weaken the brace so you don't want to put the light over it either. MH covers roughly 2 feet and even with a 3 ft tank two 150 MH would be a better option.

Is your tank 36X19X19?

My tank has those dimensions.What I may do is put the light over the center and use my PC's to fill in the rest That way I have an area of high light and if I need a lower light area I have one. The only reason is that I will upgrade later and I want a 250 so I can use it on the upgrade. Thanks for all the great advice and keep it coming as I am not 100% on this.

Well one thing you need to be 100% about is that center brace. If you cut it or make it weak with heat from the MH then your tank has a chance of busting out the panes of glass from all the inside pressure of the water. It`s there for a reason. Hope all goes well

I'd go with your original plan of lighting one side of the tank with the MH and the rest with PC and avoid placing the MH directly of the brace.

The only problem is if you use the single light then the braces will cause shadows in your tank. These shadow areas will not be recieving enough light.

Back
Top Bottom