MH Pendant Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nodoubt471

Aquarium Advice Freak
i want to get your guys' opinion before i spend mucho $$$ on my new MH light for my 44G FOWLR which i hope to convert to a reef eventually. the tank is an odd shape:

img_300783_0_e13221e08673cc6cc7d3c7b40b18e03e.jpg

from point A to B is 30 in and from C to D is 24 (these are aprox dimensions to give you a rough idea).

now heres my dilemma: i cant use a hood since it is an odd shape, so im stuck with a pendant. i plan on suspending it from the ceiling above it and covering the top with eggcrate to prevent carpet surfing. now my issue is which lighting scheme should i go with:

the hamilton 175w pre-assembled-ballast-included-bulb-included job for $189
or
reef optix 1 plus horizontal pendant (15"x9.75"x4.5") w/ 175w hamilton magnetic ballast w/ 175w aqualine 10,000k bulb for a combined cost of ~$255?

the reason i ask is im worried about the hamilton pendant having too concentrated a beam of light, unless i hang it like 20 feet above the tank. here is the link for that pendant: http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/10073.html

of course its ~$60 i could put towards that aqua c remora ive been eyeing if i can go with the hamilton, just wondering if anybody has any experience or anything with these.

any suggestions welcome.

Back
Top Bottom