MH Selection - Suggestions Requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serge

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am now at the stage where I have to select lamps for the tank, and I would appreciate suggestions/recommendations from the group. :)

I was considering 4 x 250 Watt MH - 20 kelvin. The tank is 72" long and 20" deep and 18" wide. 125 gallons. Would I also require actinic tubes?

I would appreciate hearing what experience folks have or have had with their MH setup and what they suggest based on their experience. We all know that the books (spec. sheets) don't tell everything. :)

Thanks in advance,

It is actually a matter of preference. A 20K bulb will have much more blue in it then a 10K bulb. YOu will not really need actinic suppliments with a 20K bulb. It is just a matter of finding some LFS that have both running so you can compare them.

lando said:
It is actually a matter of preference. A 20K bulb will have much more blue in it then a 10K bulb. YOu will not really need actinic suppliments with a 20K bulb. It is just a matter of finding some LFS that have both running so you can compare them.

I guess that is a plan when there are many LFS around, but in my case, there only 3 that I can visit. To see more option/choices, I have to take a 2 hour drive to get to Montreal for more LFS. :?

Thanks tho. :)

8)

revhtree said:
Isnt the rule of thumb 1 MH per 2ft. Could you get away with 3 MH instead of four?
Yes, if I remember correctly, but, using 3 MH would bring one of them right above my center brace! Eeek! Hence the reason I want to go 4, so I can set them up on both sides without affecting the plastic center brace.

Thanks!

8)

You would be pleased with the way the 250w 14K looks. It has enough blue, and white where you wouldn't need any supplemental lighting for it. I look at 14K as a happy medium in the spectrum.

Mike

Salttanker said:
You would be pleased with the way the 250w 14K looks. It has enough blue, and white where you wouldn't need any supplemental lighting for it. I look at 14K as a happy medium in the spectrum.

Mike
Thanks for the input. The more information available, the more confused I get. LOLOL :lol:

8)

I just got some helios 20Ks and they are super sweet. I haven't had helios bulbs before but if they burn in and look anything like they do now i'll toss my XM 20Ks and switch.

Back
Top Bottom