Micro bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RMPD109

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I just got home and my tank is full of tiny bubbles. The thing is it is not my skimmer. The bubbles are coming from my HOT magnum filter. I have not had the top off in several days so there should be a good seal. Any other thoughts on why this is starting up now. TIA

It sounds like you are having trouble with the water passing through the filter. I am not to familiar with a magnum but I had a similar scenario with my submerible pump in my sump. The water was low in the sump and the pump was hot. White micro bubbles permeated my tank after a return from two days away!

I have bubbles from my magnum sometimes. try purging the filter of all its air by tilting it back and forth. that may work. I am unfamilair with the HOT version though.

I took off the top and checked for air. There was a bit but I think that came after shutting it down. I think I read in the instructions that it automatically purges air. Anyhow I topped of the canister with water and re aligned the gasket. It all helped. Bubbles not gone but greatly reduced. Thanks for the help so far and any other ideas are welcome.

Erik

Well just to update. Bubbles are gone. Nothing new done since the last post. I guess it just had to work itself out on its own. I assume the check of the filter is what made the change. Thanks for all the help and any other info on why it happened or how to keep it from happening again are appreciated.

The bubbles are back. They came back the day after my last post but I was hoping they would clear up again. No luck. I am going to take down the filter and clean it. Any other suggestions or things I should check on. Thanks again

It is leaking air in through the top "D-ring" gasket. I had one of these, it did the same thing unless you mess with that gasket.

That sounds right. The other day I moistened it with water and it worked for a short time. This time I will use something that wont dry out (like the oil they included for this purpose). I guess I new this all along just did not think of it. Know I have to try and find that little bottle of lube. Thanks

this is a "bump" because it still happening. I lubed the d ring and wet it then replaced it. Still getting bubbles 75% of the time. I think this is the problem but how do I get a better solution than sometimes bubbles and sometimes not. Thanks

Air May have gotton into your filter...This happened to me and it lasted for a couple of hours also when my sump was low it did this two maybe filling it with more water and having your pipes go into the water if they hang above it will help.

UPDATE-

I contacted Marine land about the problem. They had several solutions all requiring replacement parts. After the suggestion of part #4 I got nervous about costs of the pieces.

By the end of my consult all pieces are en route free of charge(I paid shipping). You cant get much better than that. New intake tube, new return tube, D ring and some lube.

this is a "bump" because it still happening. I lubed the d ring and wet it then replaced it.

Wetting it only does so much if the ring is compressed and ruined. After I had this problem and gave up on it, I gave the filter for a friend to mess with. He "fixed" it by sticking a clamp around the lid and body of the filter. The clamp pushed the lid onto the filter with way more force that the metal tension bar can. Never leaked air again :D

I recvd the parts today. Not bad shipping time since they told me 7-10 days. The two days is great. I will post if any of the parts fixes the problem or just fixing it w/ a clamp as grimlock3000 advises.

Back
Top Bottom