Micro Stars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoylentGrundy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all!
Found a websight that's selling micro-stars for tank cleaning. Was curious how many people used them and what they thought of them? Mainly wanted to know how hardy they are and if they really do much for taking care of detritus.
Thanx!

I find them very interesting, I think they are a great addition to any reef (if none have hitchhicked in on lr or frags, etc.) Besides being hardy they are always on the hunt for food, and in combination with pods and worms they can help take care of detritus/uneaten food.

I read they multiply by splitting. Keep this in mind since you may only need a few, and they could multiply on their own.

I had ONE hitch hike in on a coral. Now I see them about twice a week. The one that came in must have been a baby, because now the ones I see can be as big as a silver dollar from tip to tip. And they range from white to reddish. Very cool

I ordered a Detritivore kit on ebay. It is supposed to have some of these in it. Can't wait until it arrives. Its like a kid at Christmas. :wink:

MT79 said:
Its like a kid at Christmas.
I agree quarryshark, for some reason I find it fascinating I have dozens of tiny starfish in my aquarium :) That just shouts-"This tank is a REEF!"

Lol, we certainly are a breed apart (people in this hobby), aren't we. :lol: :wink:

they sell for .55 ea on floridapets

Dang thats expensive. These starfish dont get any larger than the size of your pinky finger nail. I have a ton of them in my tank yet the only time you really see them is if you look very very closely at the place where the rock and sand meet or if you get a handfull of sand and gently sift thru it with your fingers.

I'd never seen them before a few days ago and they looked kinda neat. You know anywhere else a person could find them?

Back
Top Bottom