Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-24-2022, 09:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Seattle
Posts: 22
Milli-Q water for water changes?

Has anyone every used milli-Q water for their tank? I am in college and work at a lab where there are taps with purified water (RO and milli-q) that I could use. It would be much easier than what I am doing now to use this water.

Is it safe as long as the conductivity value is low? Any precautions I should take before doing a full water change with it?

__________________
abby_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flaxon-Waxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 2,992
Is there a way to know the TDS of the water? I donít know what Milli-Q water is but the Googles tell me is essentially double distilled? Correct me if Iím wrong.

You want 0 TDS for saltwater tanks. That may or may not help you answer this.
__________________
Fish tanks are just complex math equations, but Iím not good with numbers.
Flaxon-Waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Seattle
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxon-Waxon View Post
Is there a way to know the TDS of the water? I donít know what Milli-Q water is but the Googles tell me is essentially double distilled? Correct me if Iím wrong.

You want 0 TDS for saltwater tanks. That may or may not help you answer this.


Okay gotcha. Yeah I have a way to measure the TDS so I can check that next time I go in. If the filtration is working as it should be, the TDS should be 0.

Yeah milli-q water is filtered through multiple mediums that should remove ions, organics, and large particles. So it includes the reverse osmosis process.
__________________
abby_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flaxon-Waxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby_n View Post
Okay gotcha. Yeah I have a way to measure the TDS so I can check that next time I go in. If the filtration is working as it should be, the TDS should be 0.

Yeah milli-q water is filtered through multiple mediums that should remove ions, organics, and large particles. So it includes the reverse osmosis process.


As long as youíre getting 0 TDS, Iíd be confident that it will be just fine

I have an RODI unit that currently brings TDS down to about 2-4 before it goes into the DI resin canister, then comes out 0. Some people even feel ok with 2-4 coming out after the DI resin, but Iím good with 0 personally.
__________________
Fish tanks are just complex math equations, but Iím not good with numbers.
Flaxon-Waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:54 AM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,608
I've never worked with Mili-Q, but the college I went to did it's own that it collected from rain water. What I recall, the TDS of this was really close to 0 if not 0. But that was for a reason I'm sure, but there wasn't a DI resin phase like we run to make that final jump from ~10 to 0.
I would use it if it was being offered up to me. If you are concerned about it, I'm sure there is a TDS meter somewhere in one of the departments that someone will let you use without issue. And if you do so, report the results. Would love to know.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Seattle
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I've never worked with Mili-Q, but the college I went to did it's own that it collected from rain water. What I recall, the TDS of this was really close to 0 if not 0. But that was for a reason I'm sure, but there wasn't a DI resin phase like we run to make that final jump from ~10 to 0.
I would use it if it was being offered up to me. If you are concerned about it, I'm sure there is a TDS meter somewhere in one of the departments that someone will let you use without issue. And if you do so, report the results. Would love to know.


The TDS is 0.562 mg/L. That is low enough right? Click image for larger version

Name:	66242929953__0A7F746D-5E55-4586-A1C5-282C2C2961A2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	322774
__________________
abby_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flaxon-Waxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 2,992
Thatís definitely low, and likely wonít yield any issuesÖ I wonít personally do anything above 0, but have heard of folks waiting until their TDS is up to 10-12 before they replace filters on their RODI units. If youíre concerned you can run media like a PolyFilter in conjunction with GFO and that will help keep those small amounts in check. What you donít want is .5ppm compounded over time and becoming a problem, so do what you can to prevent it from getting any higher.
__________________
Fish tanks are just complex math equations, but Iím not good with numbers.
Flaxon-Waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ate, change, water, water change, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Acro or milli Darylb Saltwater & Reef - Identification 11 08-24-2014 05:29 AM
Using distilled water instead of tap water for water changes. Camogirl28 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 01-04-2014 08:33 AM
changes changes changes Benjithecookiemonster Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 6 06-17-2008 02:26 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.