Mimic yellow vs yellow tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all. I REALLY want a yellow tang but my tank is only 4ft. My lfs has a small mimic yellow tang and i lime it more than a standard yellow tang. Will this work in my 55?

Is it the color you want? Do you have corals? I would suggest a lemon peel angel if you don't have corals. I don't think putting a tang in a 55 is a very good idea since they are prone to stress related diseases that can effect a whole tank. They need a lot of room even little ones and a lot of current.

If you really want a tang start saving all your money to get a bigger tank it will be better for the fish and a lot less stress for both of you.

joy13 said:
Is it the color you want? Do you have corals? I would suggest a lemon peel angel if you don't have corals. I don't think putting a tang in a 55 is a very good idea since they are prone to stress related diseases that can effect a whole tank. They need a lot of room even little ones and a lot of current.

If you really want a tang start saving all your money to get a bigger tank it will be better for the fish and a lot less stress for both of you.

My lfs has a yellow angel.... i guess its the fish the mimic tang mimics. Could i do a yellow angel and a bicolor angel?

Any dwarf angel will work in your 55,,i would not get any type of tang though...Plus like joy said ,one angel per tank is your best bet..I like the cherub too,,cute little fish

FTMMWS said:
Any dwarf angel will work in your 55,,i would not get any type of tang though...Plus like joy said ,one angel per tank is your best bet..I like the cherub too,,cute little fish

I just dont know what i want. I want a bright yellow angel but i REALLY want some blue fish. I dont know what blue fish to get that arent mean like damsels or too big like tangs.

I just dont know what i want. I want a bright yellow angel but i REALLY want some blue fish. I dont know what blue fish to get that arent mean like damsels or too big like tangs.

Have you thought of chromis? They are commonly found as green/blue, but there are a couple species with a dark blue color you may like. School around in the tank and are pretty cool to watch.

AquaRick said:
Have you thought of chromis? They are commonly found as green/blue, but there are a couple species with a dark blue color you may like. School around in the tank and are pretty cool to watch.

Ive heard they can be mean. Is that true?

Although they are a damsel, they are very peaceful fish. They tend to not fight with other fish.

Chromis for Sale: Blue and Green Chromis and other Reef Species

I bought a trio when i first started my tank. Down the road i wanted a larger school and added more. All the chromis I've added after the original were picked on and killed. Regardless if i added new chromis as a single or in a small group....they all ended up getting killed.

AquaRick said:
Although they are a damsel, they are very peaceful fish. They tend to not fight with other fish.

Chromis for Sale: Blue and Green Chromis and other Reef Species

I bought a trio when i first started my tank. Down the road i wanted a larger school and added more. All the chromis I've added after the original were picked on and killed. Regardless if i added new chromis as a single or in a small group....they all ended up getting killed.

So get 5 or so and add them all together?

What fish do you have in your tank now? My lemon peel was a bully even my clown was afraid of it and ended being taken out of the 55 and put in my junk tank with my blue devil so far there hasn't been any real fighting.

joy13 said:
What fish do you have in your tank now? My lemon peel was a bully even my clown was afraid of it and ended being taken out of the 55 and put in my junk tank with my blue devil so far there hasn't been any real fighting.

All i have now is 3 perc clowns. Gettin a few green chromis and few gobies soon

joy13 said:

Ha ha, I've got a bicolour that's scared of its own shadow!!

It's a nice fish but I think it's dependant on the individual specimen how they behave.

Mine is very timid and I've never seen it nip at any coral, but I've heard they can be the complete opposite.

We have a yellow tailed damsel in our 55gal. He hasn't caused any problem with any of our fish. They are one of the least aggressive damsels and their bodies are a beautiful bright blue... and they're cheap and hardy!

Ive heard they can be mean. Is that true?

Not necissarily mean but pushy with food, and the chromis in my school tank are quiet and shy, where the first pair the school had were pushy and irritating to the other fish. I believe it's all in the separate personalities

Back
Top Bottom