Mixing saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

G1203

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I had a couple questions. My lfs sells established pre mixed saltwater. Should I get that at first ( to fill up the tank) then mix my own for water changes?

Thanks

That would be a practical thing to do for having a new tank and while you are still in the process of getting the necessary stuff like the ro/di. You can also get the ro from the machine at your nearest grocery store until you can afford to buy the ro/di.

Ok, I would not recomend to get your water from the grocery store. Your LFS will RO/DI water for a good price (usualy about 50 cent/gallon.

Ok, I would not recomend to get your water from the grocery store. Your LFS will RO/DI water for a good price (usualy about 50 cent/gallon.

I actually have always used the RO water from the big outdoor machines (Glacier) outside the gas station or grocery store. TDS is close to zero usually and its a quarter a gallon. My LFS is closer to a buck a gallon for RODI. I've got FOWLR, so it works fine for me.

Yah I think I might just fill the whole tank with pre mixed saltwater from my lfs and then start mixing my own water for water changes

If you have the ability to mix your own water now I would just mix it and fill the tank yourself it would be alot cheaper.

Not sure about all LFS but ours here in Houston only sell the RO water it is not the RO/DI they would be having a huge expense on their hands having to change the DI out. I got my RO water from the machine in the Grocery store "Culligan" brand I believe and I also would take my TDS meter with me to check the TDS to make sure it was not sky high and it was only $.29 per gallon.. But I finally got my own RO/DI unit I just could not keep lifting those buckets anymore.

Ok I guess I'll just mix my one can I just measure out the salt and but it in the tank then ad water and let the powerhead mix it sense there is no fish in yet or do I have to mix it out of the tank?

You can mix in tank as long as there's no live stock in the tank you'll need a way to measure the SG if your going to mix your own a hydrometer will work

Ok thanks the hydrometer is on the shopping list

Some say refractometers are more accurate, but I haven't tried them personally. It's a bit pricey.

Yah and I'm only 14 so I don't have all the money in the world:)

A 5 gal bucket will be handy to mix your salt. You will definitely need it each time you change your water. Approximately 1 3/4 mugs of salt per bucket for a salinity of 1.025 but each brand may vary. It will make it easy to adjust the salinity using a bucket. Use your tank scraper as a paddle to mix.

Ok thanks!!! Going to get all of the stuff tomorrow and start the cycle!!!!:) so excited:) I think I'm just gonna measure out salt for 36 gallons and dump just the salt on top of the sand then fill it with water sense I don't have any live stock. That or I'm just gonna get 36 gallons of premixed saltwater. What do you think?

Fill your tank to about 2 inches from the top with fresh water check for leaks then add salt dont pour the salt on the sand.

I don't trust LFS RO/DI water. They are in business to make money...nothing wrong with that, but it leads to compromising decisions in a down economy that leads you to believe you are getting good RO/DI water when in reality you end up with crap that may not be much better than that which comes out of your tap-- because they may not go to the necessary expense of replacing the pads when they should. I wouldn't use any RO/DI water without a TDS reading first.

LFS RO/DI water has become popular because it is an easy money maker on their part. They are betting that most people don't want to pony up $200 for an RO/DI unit and would much rather make it a part of a routine purchase. Buyer beware with this. TDS meters can be had for $30 and gives you piece of mind that you are buying what they are advertising.

Back
Top Bottom