Mixing saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just a quick question:-

When mixing saltwater, does it all have to be mixed for the 24 hours in one go (with no interruptions), or can I do, say, 7 hours, then start up mixing again a few hours later?

And, will mixing for 48 hours have any negative effects?

If it's an emergency, I'll mix it up, make sure it's just right, and use it. :wink:

I have kept mixed water for about 48hrs with no problem.

Keeping mixed water for peirods of time is fine as long as you limit the evaporation and have the water at tank temp when doing a water change.

You should try to allow at least a few hours of mixing time as there are many chemical reactions going on after your have mixed the salt and some of these reactions consume oxygen in the water. Allowing ample time for the reactions to complete and the o2 levels to restore is good but in an extreme emergency you can mix and use right away.

My solutions is a 5 gallon bucket and a small powerhead. Mix it up the night before you plan to do the change, stick the power head in to keep the water cirulating well, then add it when you get home from work the following day.

I mix mine up a week ahead of time. I keep it in sealed buckets and when ready for use I set them all up the night before and put a PH in each one and let it run all night. The temp on the water is never usually more than 4-5 degrees off from my tank temp and with a tank the size I got (125) 30 gallons of water don't really change the temp that much.

I have succesfully stored mixed water for 3 weeks without any adverse problems with the water. I think as long as you have gasketed buckets to keep the seal you should be OK.

Mike

I mix my water in a 32 gal can, I have a PH and heater in there and i mix it and let it sit for weeks and sometimes a month or more. With the PH and heater there is no problems. No tight seal is needed I have the garbage can lid on thats all. They says its best to let it mix for 24 hours but as others have said in an emergency a hour would be fine IMO.

I use a 32 gallon Bruet trash can. I only use a powerhead in it to circulate it. I have a 225 gallon so I do not worry about the temperature difference. I drain 30 gallons from my sump and pump the new water into my sump with the powerhead. I have not seen any temperature change and have had no problems. I usually run the powerhead for 18-24 hours depending on my schedule before I put the new water in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom