Mixing your own saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdave

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am trying to find out how people are mixing their own saltwater. What I have done in the past was just mix it in 5 gal buckets for my water changes. What I want to do is make a whole automatic system with reserve tanks (55 gallon plastic drums), RO/DI system, and a top off tank. My questions are what items, additives, and other items. If you have designs please explain how your system is setup.

What I put in at the store is just several 55 gal plastic drums with the tops cut out. We have a 275 gal container for RO/DI water and we pump it over into the mixing drums. As far as additives go, I don't add anything but salt. Not a real modern setup I guess, but it works.
Logan J

I have two 30 gal trashcans. One hold fresh RO water for topping off my tanks and making KALK mix. The other trashcan I fill with RO water and then drop in a heater and powerhead. Once the water is up to tank temp I slowly sift in my salt mix till I have a SG close to 1.025. I do let the water sit for at least 24hours from when i add the salt till i check the SG.

I try to keep at least 20 gal of saltwater mixed up at any given time just in case. This also allows my saltwater to age some prior to adding it to my tanks.

d9hp is correct. I also have close to 25 gal in a sump on the 80.

I use the fresh RO water on my 29 gal FW tank aswell.

I do water changes every 2 weeks on the saltwater tanks.

I do 5 gal on the 20 and 15 gal on the 80.

Back
Top Bottom