Molting Cleaner Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minotaur

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp just molted.

How often will it do that? If I don't see, find, and remove it, will it screw up my water?

Thanks

no, you can leave it in there... the cleaner crew/fish should take care of it...

as i am new here, I am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong

I just asked the same question about my peppermint not long ago. I had one reply that agreed with my observation of once every three weeks (aprox). Make sure you have a good calcium level in your tank and if you are testing for iodine make sure your iodine level is good. The molting will not hurt the tank at all.

mjvincent said:
I had one reply that agreed with my observation of once every three weeks (aprox). Make sure you have a good calcium level in your tank and if you are testing for iodine make sure your iodine level is good. The molting will not hurt the tank at all.

I agree, just leave it in. The cleaner shrimp and the rest of your crew will clean it up. My cleaners molt alot. I've never really noted how often though. Every two or three weeks I guess.

Thank you,

I have not been testing for calcium, the lfs said it was not necessary. I have the shrimp, 2-mexican turbo snails and 20-30 small crabs and snails in a 29 gal tank.

If I test for calcium and supplement....how much should I have?

If you are doing regular water changes, you shouldn't have to supplement. The salt should replenish it for you. Your calcium should be between 350-450.

I am doing a weekly 10% pwc. I have not noticed a calcium test kit at the lfs, but I will check and test just to make sure.

Thanks for help.

Back
Top Bottom