Monster from the deep!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thincat

Aquarium Advice Addict
look what came out of hiding<<
img_1133315_0_85604a297a1744c2baa3d63bbfeadf9f.jpg

Yep green brittle star .. I echo the question of how big is he !!

creepy...how often does he come out??

Ray, sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees :)

It's a brittle star, but I'm not sure if it's a Green brittle star. I have two (brown) in my tank that are a great part of my cleanup crew.

"Green Brittle Star of the genus Ophiarachna. This animal is a predatory fish eater, that does indeed do a spiffy janitorial job when small... but grows quickly, and under darkness of night can/does learn to eat aquarium fishes. This species has been documented to arch up in "sleeping caves" of captive fishes and drop down on unsuspecting meals"

It's a black brittle star.. comes out only on a blue moon. I normally see only part of one tenticle at the most. This was a great shot of it. Not a Green brittle star because as cmor stated greens are predatory.

This guy who owned a LFS near me had one where the center on it was palm sized. Said he had it since his first tank like 15 years ago or something. Not sure on the specific genus. Really creepy when they get that big.

I now close the door to my bedroom when I go to sleep! LOL

Back
Top Bottom