monti cap growth (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccCapt

SW 20 & Over Club
I picked up a pretty bleached looking monti cap from a lfs back in June or July. It was a really light, almost tan color but was nice sized and a good price. :wink:
I put it in the bottom of my tank at first and gradually moved it so now it's directly under a 175 mh about 8" from the surface. Light is about 10" above water.
Take a look at the growth. The first pic is crappy but it's all I had from back then. It really wasn't that dark in color.
As you progress thru the pics, notice how the white edges aren't white in spots. I see good growth (I think...lol) but now the rim seems to be disappearing or something.

tank parameters:
nh3 - 0
no2 - 0
no3 - 0
po4 - 0
alk - 3.9 meg/l
ca - 410
ph - 8.2

This 1st pic (8-1-05) I cropped from a full tank shot and the color is off....coral was not that dark looking, but you see the white-blueish rim.

monti_cap_11.jpg

2nd pic (9-26-05) you can see on the far left the "rim" doesn't go all around the edge.

monti_cap_11-a.jpg

3rd pic (10-21-05) is a better pic since I started to notice something happening then. Look at the rim.

monti_cap_11-b.jpg

4th pic (11-11-05) you can see the white edges are nothing like it looked when I 1st got it. I think the dark areas around the edges is the new growth since I got it.

monti_cap_11-c.jpg

So my question is.....does this look like normal growth?

Looks normal to me. They are pretty fast growers once they start.

My green and purple rim has a whiteish area at the edges and is new growth. Some of my acros do this as well.

Definitely looks like a green/purple rim that got bleached out. I have one of those from a rescue we did that looks just like the one in your photo. I'm hoping it colors up one of these days, but it hasn't yet. I think we rescued it in July.

Good luck getting it to color up. I know they don't like a whole boat load of light.

Back
Top Bottom