moon lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
i was thinking of buying some moon lights to act as a buffer for about one or two hours after i turn off my full lights, and one or so hours before my lights go on. Any thoughts or suggestions. I like the look of the moon lights and I've been told that it's not good to go from full lighting to complete darkness. what do you guys think?

I have 5 moonlights on my 50 gallon tank and I love them...its a shame I dont have any shrimps, corals, pods, or anything yet... They are great for night time viewing of the rocks however...I love to see the shimmering effect it gives off.

My moonlight however are not the greatest, I should had looked around more for better ones...If you look for some, try to get either a bunch of them w/ a dimmer or one that doesnt just give off a circular blast of light (try to look for a reflector...if thats possible). My moonlight give off a spotlight effect and I wish I had gotten more to cover the whole tank or another model that has a wider angle of shine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46314&item=4315769684&rd=1 That sounds good for you, better than what I got... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46314&item=4315035559&rd=1

Depending of the size of your tank, I would grab this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46314&item=4315460450&rd=1 Even though they give off the spotlight effect, with good positioning you can limit it down to very few areas of darkness.

You can always build your own. It's not hard and the plans are floating around here somewhere. :wink: If you want to try it just pm me, I'll see if I can locate where the fiel is. :mrgreen:

actually, i found a nice sale on blue LED's at www.xoxide.com. $4 gets you a little brick with 3 LED's in it. I got 2 of these plus the 110v to 12v AC adapater ($6.99, same site).

These should give plenty of light even though they'll be more like spot lights..the tank should be easy enough to view.

my question is, do you all run moonlights all night, or just a few hours?

i am really interested in building my own moon light too, i want to know how many led would i need if i have a 60gal tank?

If you're putting a dimmer switch in there then I would say 2 LEDs per foot. Without a dimmer it might be too bright and you'd have to use less.

I use 2 CSL moonlights on my 75 gal(4ft) tank. I don't have a dimmer and they light up the tank just fine. I could deal with 1 more and I would like it more but 2 works ok. CSL actually recommends 1 every 2ft.

I am also interested in adding moonlights to my 10 gal nano but a little afraid of the spotlight effect. I will have to look into building my own. I had to buy a box of batteries from costco because I go through so many a month. lol Does anybody have a pic of there tank with moonlights?

yes pics of your moonlights as well as the tanks would be a big help......how do the fish like having them on 24/7?

If you want to diffuse the light a little bit you can buy ground glass or very fine glass beads at a craft store and super glue them to the lens of the led. This will scatter the light

really cool light malkore! looks really good on your tank and i can't wait to start working on my moonlight :mrgreen:

I've just put my lid (custom father-in-law!) on tonight & I'll take a picture of the moonlights tomorrow night when I have a bit more time, I got them via ebay from a guy in the US, they are very nicely made IMHO if you don't want to mess about too much yourself?

Cheers Shelton.

do you guy's that have moon lights run them 24/7? or only when the others are off? from the pics i've seen i think they look great and i'd love to get some in my tank.

once again, the photo I posted is NOT my tank! I just found it on the web. (I don't wish to take credit for someone else's hard work).

I will post pics of my actual moonlights...if they ever freakin' ship!

Back
Top Bottom