Moonlights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thinking of going with the deal one of the sponsors has on here for moonlights but was wondering how everyone has theirs set up in their hood. We have a 60 gallon tank and not sure where we would mount them, how many we would need, we don't want it to be too bright, just enough like as if it were under the ocean. Look forward to anyone's input!

I got 2 moonlights from captivereefs and I am not sure what mine will look like but I will let you know tomorrow :)

I have a canopy with 2 1x6 boards on either side of my PC light strip as covers. I was going to mount them on the board behind the light but my internal overflow is on the backside offset to one side and I thought it might block some of the light. So I mounted them just in front of my light strip which is almost center. I bought 2 for my 75 gal tank and I centered the two to try and get equal distance.

BTW, my canopy raises the light up about 3 inches off the water so the moonlights are a similar distance.

I'll post results tomorrow.

I'm not sure if this helps for placement, but I just ordered a 30" & 48" CSL PC Moonlite fixture from our sponsor and the 30" utilizes 2 moonlites & the 48" utilizes 4 moonlites.

The moonlights are great but I want more of them :) I think 4 would do it but I sure ain't spending another $40-60.

I think it depends on what you want to see but they way they sort of spotlight an area, I would like to have 4 on my 4 ft tank.

The lights are constructed well and are easy to install. Just 1 screw does it.

Just an FYI

I have two that I bought from captive reefs and I love them. I have a 65 gallon tank. (four foot tank) I think that four would be way too bright. They are very easy to install and do not take up much space.

If you want to see what 4 look like in a 75 gal, click on my gallery, I posted a pic of it the other day.

I used one of those blue rope lights which seems to work quite well. I cut it to the length I wanted and replaced the cap that is at the end of it. Be careful when you cut that you cut it longer than you want because the lights are connected so that when you cut one part of it about a foot or 2 goes out when you cut it. It makes the aquarium just bright enough for you to see it at night.

HTH,
josh

Here is one I read before I bought mine.

http://www.kaotica.com/frag/diy/moonlight/

It makes it looks easy but I figured I needed some stuff anyway ... I have heard some say the power supply can be expensive but I actually saw a variable power supply at Target for under $10.

I would like to know what LED if any can be bought from radio shack or similar? The place listed on the website makes you order a few more than I need.

Custom Sea life rcomends that 1 be used every 2 feet of tank length. I think this works the best as it is not to bright and you can still see alot of life crawling around. They are truly awesome to look at when they are on!

I went to Sears and bought a 9" florescent. I blocked most of it off with duct tape until I had the right amount of light. Total cost $7.50. I use it on my 90 gal reef tank.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom