moorish idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blondek727

Aquarium Advice Activist
had some questions for anyone who has kept or is keeping an moorish idol i love these fish i know two people who keep them in there tank and the fish do very well they never had problems feeding them but i wanted to get some more info thanks alot

Moorish idols need lots of sea sponges in their to survive long term and the market has not come up with a diet that will give them this element of their diet,and because of this they down last long even if they eat regular or frozen fish food.

I got a moorish idol yesterday.

I studied alot on them, Read alot of articles and books because i want to try get this right.
The idol does have a diet of sponges and some say water is a big factor in there survival as well, Some people that have kept Idols long-term do 100% water change each day (Those that live on the beach having auto water changing machines)

And ive also read, It depends on how the idol was caught. and they're transport. Make sure the Idol is caught by net, No chemicals helping them. And when the LFS order you one in. Make sure his eating.
The one i got has been nibbling on mussle and alittle nori. Hasnt had a full go at it yet, But nipping. It is a start.

I will keep you updated on how he goes in the tank, Lovely fish but will need to be kept with alot of care and attention.

one of my friends has had his idol for 10 years hes very happy and fat. my other friend im not sure but i think 3 years so far that idols doing great as well. my friend thats had one for 10 years feeds him 3 different pellet foods, frozen mysid shrimp and ulva but dannyb please keep me updated.

I take off my hat to your two friends. Great to see some luck with those fish. What size tanks do they have?

the 10 year is in a 300g with tangs, clowns, damsels, and a couple angels the other is in a 215g with tangs, angels, and even a huma huma trigger he had some problems with the fish getting use to him but now theuy all get along

Great to hear of a suggest story on those Moorish idols. Most don't do well in home AQ's.

Ok, Abit of an update on my Moorish. Seems to be doing well, Today he was picking at the mussle alot more, I went out and left the mussle there, came home and most of it was gone, So its looking good.

Only one problem, The yellow tang seems to stressing him out just a little. They should settle down soon but its a little worrying.

Ill keep you guys posted.

That should settle down in a couple of days, but keep an eye on the agression to make sure it doesn't escalate to the point of total bullying. You may need to remove the YT to a QT tank for a few days and then re-introduce it to to the display tank.

Back
Top Bottom