Moray Eels -- finally taking the plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I actually asked several questions last year regarding zebra and snowflake morays. Forgive the semi-duplicate post but I'm revisiting the subject and new members may be able to help. Hara was a big help, as was StripesTheEel recently (thanks to both). As Stripes is aware, now a year later, I've finally decided I want to get a zebra moray. I've got a 110 gallon tank (lightly stocked still since I've been on the fence about an eel - just a yellow tang and 2 clowns), but it is only 4 feet long. Some seem to think that is pushing it with a zebra. I've got a lot of rock (over 200lbs in total), a 50 gallon sump with built in 15 gallon fuge with rock rubble and chaeto, ASM G3 skimmer, and a lot of water movement (about 3000 gph in total). I've kept morays in the past (jewel and snowflake), but I've always loved zebras. I got the 4ft tank with the most capacity since that's all the room I had and I'm aware of the waste eels produce. I've created caves and secured my rock structure. My next task is to eel proof my tank.

So, the point of this post is....

Any opinions regarding a zebra for my particular set-up? There are conflicting theories about a zebra's max length. Some say 4-5ft. Many places say they usually max at 3ft in captivity.

"The Zebra is one of the smaller morays attaining two to three feet in overall length in captivity, and maybe four in the wild." -- http://www.wetwebmedia.com/zebramor.htm

"Zebra Moray Eel adults can grow to 130 cm (51 inches), but usually only attain about 90cm (36 inches) in captivity." -- http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/eels/zebramoray.php

Also, I'd like advice as far as eel proofing my tank. I've got an external overflow box. I'm considering simply fastening some egg crate to the top of the box to prevent the eel from entering. I haven't decided on glass or egg crate for the top but am looking for opinions.

Anything else anyone can think of would be great - I understand compatablity issues, inverts, etc so I should be all set there.

Thanks all.

- Skin

I now have a zebra moray as well. It is a joy to own. I would suggest eggcrate instead of the glass as it will not hold in heat and allows for a better gas exchange. I have an external overflow on my eel tank and have done what you are thinking about. It has worked well. I also believe your tank size is more than adequate.

Does anyone have a picture of this egg crate idea i just cant picture it.

I had eggcrate on my tank last summer in preperation for an eel - but, ended up going "topless" after I temporarily shelved the eel idea.

I don't have a pic, but I basically just cut eggcrate to fit on the top of the tank. The weight of my PC lights kept it in place along with some velcro straps.

Hara, how did you fasten the eggcrate to the overflow box? I'm having trouble figuring that one out.

Oh, also (completely forgot about this) - I'm running my tank's water level about 1 1/4" low. Will this help deter the eel from attempting to escape at all? Is it true that Zebras aren't as "escape crazy" if you will, as say snowflakes?

Have had mine for 2 years, my tanks water level is at maximum, i have never seen it try to escape ever. Sure he pops his head out sometimes but once it realises hey theres no water, back to the cave..

To tell you the truth, none of my eels have ever tried escaping, but Haras, lets just say are more adventurous.

My zebra is about 3 1/2 to 4 feet.

On a side note.. Lisa.. I havent seen any pics of the new guy...SHOW ME!!

Thanks again, you two. I secured the top of my tank with eggcrate and used the remaining eggcrate to block off my overflow box. I created a lot of caves under my rock and I'm going to glue some rock rubble together to create more while I wait for a zebra to become available locally. I may have to order one.

I'll post pics when I get him/her.

I sure am going to miss my pistol shrimp :)

- Skins

Back
Top Bottom