more rock or filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barbtrave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new salt water tank mainly using live rock and a AquaC Remora Pro with mag drive 3 skimmer for my filtering along with a Red Sea wave maker with 4 maxi jet 1200 power heads . I'm doing just fish maybe later a couple corals not a reef tank. Spoke to Michael at Live Rocks and he said for a 75 gallon tank he'd begin with 120lbs of rock add 40 pounds more after I got the first set up and ultimately have 160 pounds of live rock since I'm mainly using it for my filtration system. I've ordered 80 pounds which was $450.00 and will be here Friday. Another 80 pounds will be another $450.00 is there a better way to go that would be cheaper and give as good results? I'm looking for a tank with low maintainance and do not want to do a sump because of hardwood floors. What do you suggest for this kind of money do the rock or get some kind of filter and not add more rock. I'm new at salt water please advise

Sure, get 80 lbs of base rock and the 80 lbs of live rock will seed it with life. You would save big bucks.

You can have the same results without buying 160 lbs of live rock. Get some base rock. There are some places online you can get base. I've read good things about Hirocks.com. Here's the link.

http://hirocks.com/

HTH

What is base rock and how long does it take to seed? So you recommend skip the regular filter?

Yes, I would skip the filter. Unless you want it on the tank for extra flow or to hold some lr rubble. Base rock is just dead rock. You can get some base rock and set your lr on top. It will eventually all become live.

Base rock fromLR.com is just the leftovers after the good rock is picked out. It still has some coralline coloring and critters. Base rock from others will be dry dead rock. Either way it will all be great LR with time.

defenatly go with halve base rock. you should be able to buy some at the local hardware store for really cheep. dont waist your money. it will all become live in time.

Back
Top Bottom