Morrish Idol (coming clean)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok all, don't get mad at me when I tell you this. About a 5 weeks ago, I was in the lfs. They had a moorish idol that we had been looking at for a couple of months. I knew the story behind these fish, but I had not done an extensive research for myself. I bought the moorish idol after some pressure sales tactics (my fault though). As soon as I put him in the tank he was eating like a horse. I felt so bad for buying him, and I almost returned him, except my lfs had a no return policy, and was very weird about trades. Anyway after 5 weeks the idol is doing great. I eats anything I put into the tank. It eats mush, brine, herb. pellets, marine flake, live brine. The works, it eats it. Again please do not think less of me for this. The idol has grown a little, and is the most friendly, and outgoing fish I have. It even eats from my hand!! So heres a pic. Thanks for not stringing me up. :wink:

PS. My wife and I have decided that in January (tax time) we will buy a 125g or bigger. Hopefully sooner.

This is a pic of Gill in my tank.

Awesome fish, and I hope he does well for many years to come. (y)

I want one ... 8)

He looks great!

i think he's better off with you then rotting away in a LFS or with some one that got one just because they have a kid that wants a tank like on Nemo. You obviously care about your fish and it has a good home now. Good luck with it!

I think he is in very good hands. Agree with ClamKnuckle, best of luck to you!!

Are you treating him for ich as well?

? This must be from another post or something as I didnt see any signs of ICH in the photo or in the post.

revhtree, Its great to hear your success to date with this fish. I hope he continues to keep his appitite and I hope your story can be one of the sucessful exceptions in keeping the idols.

fishfreek said:
Are you treating him for ich as well?

? This must be from another post or something as I didnt see any signs of ICH in the photo or in the post.

revhtree, Its great to hear your success to date with this fish. I hope he continues to keep his appitite and I hope your story can be one of the sucessful exceptions in keeping the idols.
I was just wondering because he was treating the rest of his stock for it. Unless he now has another tank.

This is a little off topic but you mentioned your LFS has a "no return policy" and is "iffy on trades" This is a BIG glaring sign of a LFS that is not trustworthy. IMO, they would not get any of my business. Saying, "no returns" is saying, "hey you bought it, its not my problem anymore, either keep it alive or flush it I'm keeping your money" they have no concern for the life they market in.

(sorry for the off-topic rant, now back to your regularly scheduled programming)

I too wish you the best of luck with the idol!

Yes they are all being treated. The suspected ich carrier unfortuanatly died.(yellow tang) The tang was the only fish that I got from a different lfs.

BillyZ, Yes it does seem funny, but, all of this lfs fish seem very healthy. The other closer lfs fish are oozing with ich. The tang came from the ich store. I did not buy from their, my brother in law bought it. Valuable lesson learned!

Thanks. :wink:

Yes, Thank you for comming clean.

Keep us updated. ( I would say take a bunch of pics and share but I wouldn't want anyone else to get the same idea. )

I hope the new bigger tank comes sooner rather than later!

good luck!

I don't think less of you, and I have been tempted a time or two myself, (remind me to tell you sometime about my blue linckia) but you need to be prepared. This fish will not live for more than 6 months in your tank. The mortality rate is very high, and off the top of my head I can only think of one success story about these fish in captivity and that is at the waikiki aquarium in an open lagoonal reef display. There is something missing from this fishes diet in captivity, IMO, and I don't think we can provide it at this point in time. It is a beautiful fish, and I wish you all the best with it, but the odds are stacked highly against you. Just because a fish is considered for experts, does not mean you can't have some luck, but those fish are not safe simply cause they have lasted 5 weeks either. A fish that has a life span of 30-50 years in the ocean and lives for 2 years in an aquarium, is not a success.

reefrunner69 said:
A fish that has a life span of 30-50 years in the ocean and lives for 2 years in an aquarium, is not a success.
Tru dat, Tru dat

Yea I did some reading, even public aquariums have trouble keeping these. The only sucessful captive specimens are kept in "shark pools" where theres no obstructions. I think space is a serious thing with these guys and I hate to say it but after what I read yours is doomed. Eating means nothing, please keep us updated.

In all honesty, when it's qt time is up, I would love to give him to somewhere where I know he would live. I love that fish!! It is my favorite. So what I am willing to do is find someone, maybe on here, that has a huge tank, and give him away. Trust me everyday I kick myself for getting him. I only want him to survive. Whatever means necessary, if that meens giving him away, I will. I will even drive half way to meet somebody pretty close, just to give him a better chance at life. My short hobby time has been so very stressful. All I do is worry, worry, worry. If you know somebody that has had sucess with the idol, and has a big tank, point then my direction. My email is revhammontreejr@comcast.net. Small, easy, fish only for me. I am going to work on having a nice reef tank. Thanks for listening to me. In all honesty I feel broken hearted. Thanks.

PS. I am not a wimp for having these emotions, I just care about the life of my fish.

revhtree,
No one thinks you're a wimp...and yes, this hobby can be stressful. I've been broken-hearted over my fish many times. This moorish idol has a better chance with you than with the average person who walks into a lfs. It's admirable that you want to provide the best care for it, and you want it to have the best home. I hope for the best for you! Caring about the life of our fish -- it's the best thing about this site, the way it is here. No one can blame you for trying your best with this fish. I hope it all works out!

Personally I think that if this fish has such a bad track record then it was doomed from the day it was caught, not the day you brought it home. So you shouldn't feel bad, if anything you're giving it a loving environment which is more than I can say for any LFS. I say keep your fish, care for him, love him, and what's gonna happen is gonna happen.

Personally I think that if this fish has such a bad track record then it was doomed from the day it was caught, not the day you brought it home. So you shouldn't feel bad, if anything you're giving it a loving environment which is more than I can say for any LFS. I say keep your fish, care for him, love him, and what's gonna happen is gonna happen

Agreed, and try some Spectrum foods. Fenner states some idols are doing well with this food, the designer of the food has many of them. See www.wetwebmedia.com for more information.

Rev, I think he is in excellent hands. IMO you already have him, keep him. :wink:

The only thing that REALLY concerns me is the size of the tank. I would be leary about putting him in my 175, much less a 75. Good luck with him.

Squishy

Back
Top Bottom