moving a reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefGuru

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think that I have a pretty good idea as to how to do this, but I want to see what other people have to say. I currenty have a 55 gallon aquarium that has 2 250w metal halide bulbs, 2 96 watt power compacts and 2 moon beans. It also has a sump with 2 6' diameter, 18' high skimmers. This filtration should be sufficient for up to 500 gallons of a fish only tank. Plus my powerheads can easily handle all that as well (I have tons of spare ones). However, my stand is made of iron. Over the 6 years that I have had this tank, it has begun to rust. The structural integrity is more than sufficient to handle the weight, but I am positive that some flakes are falling in and raising my iron levels, causing my relativly large growth of single celled green algae. So I am going to use this oppertunity to upgrade my tank. I am going to get a 120 gallon reef ready aquarium, and switch everything into it. I plan on mixing about 110 gallons of seawater in large rubbermaid drumms, and several 30 gallon rubbermaid containers to house my fish and corals for a short period. I was also thinking if it would be prudent to ask a friend of mine who owns a GREAT LFS in Chicago, and sells hundreds of gorgeous SPS corral frags, to house my corals for a few weeks. It would be a nice ad for him. Give me any kind of advice you can. I am more than happy to hear any advice I can get.

Andrej

The store that my friend has is called Reef Dweller. It is on Lincoln avenue between California and Peterson. Y'all should check it out in chicago. 15 dollar frags. Great prices and a guy who is just so happy to help out.

Andrej

Back
Top Bottom