moving a saltwater setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris stevens

Aquarium Advice Regular
i am planning on getting a 40-60 gallon saltwater tank going this summer (probably live rock, not coral). the question i have is - i am a student living in an apartment and will go home for two months every summer - has anyone had to deal with moving an established saltwater tank once a year, into a car and out? any advice? thanks

im dreading my move when i move in a year or two, i cant imagine moving it once a year. What about winter break? Anyway, from what i have read you want to put your liverock in tuppaware with water, heatpacks or heater and an airstone, you will probably also want to bottle up you water. I hope you have an SUV of some sort because this proabably needs to sit straight up and will weigh a lot. Again, i am a newbie but this is what i understand you will have to do. Is this your first tank? if not an you are experience you might want to go with a 30 gallon tank (although we all know bigger is better and more stable). Good luck and keep us posted. Welcome to AA :lol:

I am moving in 4-6 months and am dreading to move my 3 tanks (75, 30, 15) My plan is to get several 5 gallon bucks to transport my water. Then get a rubbermaid container to transport my live rock in. Whatever size it will have to be sturdy and easily carried by two people.

My move wont be too horribly far, so i am not worried about air stones and heat packs and stuff.

HTH

I am moving in about three months and I am dreading my move as well. I have no idea how my livestock will go. I recon the clowns and the blenny will be okay, but I am concerned about the coral beauty and the fire goby.

I probably will only be moving about 20 minutes away, but the whole pull-down and put-up time will be the time killer. I have corals spreading and my coraliamorphs moving around, so it's more than a little concerning.

If anyone have any tips I would be very greatful. My plan so far is to get some large water tight squared plastic containers and to leave the rock submerged for the trip, then leave the sandbed in the tank and move that seperately. The fish I suspect I will move in plastic aquarium transport bags, leaving them in a completely black box or something to reduce the stress on them moving around.

I completely expect my water quality levels to be completely shot for about a week or so, but I intend to combat this using a combination of Stability and the over production of bacteria in my multiple filters.

Back
Top Bottom