moving a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok guys i want to enlist your help. i'm getting ready to move my 65 gallon reef from st. louis into a 75 gallon in chicago. here are the questions for you all:
1. If anyone has done this before how did you move the contents of the tank without harming anything.
2. I currently have my 65 set up with a DSB and liverock set up. i don't think i want to do that with the 75 so what are some suggestions as far as the set-up with this tank. i was thinking that since the 75 is reefready i could do an fuge and sump as filtration. hit me with your thoughts on all this and as always i truely value your opinions and help. thanks
kyle

Buy stock in rubbermaid. I'm planning a move soon into a larger tank and some miles away myself. I did this once before, renting sucks! U can move all into rubbermaids and it might make things easier than bagging. Then, and this is my plan, turn one of those rubbermaids into a sump with a live sand bed and live rock etc. Definitelty if possible cycle that new tank first, I'll tell ya from experience it's a real panic when you arrive with all your corals, fish etc and know that time is of the essence. Buy lots of those battery air pumps for the trip too, keep all happy for the ride, I assume your driving it all up. Good luck! Also, always looking for another frag swapper in Chicago area.

can you get the 75 set up before you move the rest of the tank? Rubermaid containers are the way to go

I just did this move last weekend. I invested, or i should say, overly invested in Rubbermaid. I moved from a 55 to 75. I dumped my live rock into 2 18 gallon containers( i bought 5, u can never have enough storage) cuz putting it all in one you'll discover is way too heavy. Dumped the sand in another and the fish in another. I poured the sand slowly into the new tank, preventing as much as possible the clouding of the water, then aquascaped it with a design i'm quite proud of(pics coming soon). Used one of the empty Rubbermaids as my new 18 gallon sump, got the new mag 7 pump and filter and skimmer running, then slowly added the fish. Then i plopped my butt on the couch cuz it was alot of work. A couple hours later i checked and discovered my fish really love their new home and all the new space. However, i did lose my 2 skunk cleaner shrimps( bert and ernie). Maybe the move did it or maybe i didn't acclimate them slowly enough into the new tank. Whatever the cause, it was my fault anyway cuz i'm the one who disrupted their world. 4 days later and all my fish are happy and alive.

i just did a move and lost 2 fish

1 damsel and 1 blue ring angel.

did the same thing you guys said too, rubbermaids, powerheads and so on. :(

Back
Top Bottom