Moving into a larger tank - question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all. I am getting ready to move about 45 minutes from where I currently live. I have a 60 gallon tank right now, and am considering upgrading to a larger tank. However, I had a few questions on the best way to achieve this.

Obviously, I am going to need more sand and liverock. But, would I be able to make new saltwater and just add to my old saltwater?

You could, but I just mixed a large batch of fresh water at the new place before I moved and had it ready to put in when I got there.

You can siphon clean water from your water column and save it, then transfer everything over including the saved water. As Macatua said, premade water at the new destination would be best and can be added as if receiving a 50% water increase/change. I would give your tank time to settle, but new sand and liverock can be slowly added in stages. Make sure your filtration is running and extra filter media would help remove any fouling or stress factors.

When I upgraded to my 125 I used most of the old water to help stabilize the water in the new tank. Freshly made SW can be quite caustic so adding most of your old water will help to make it less caustic. I would be a little cautious adding anything to all freshly made SW.

We have move our tank four times. The last time we upgraded froma 55 to a 150, but a previosly owned tank. What we did is transfer 50% of the water from the original (150) tank and bought premade water from the LFS. What a pain!!! When we move for the last time into our house we will have all extra water needed pre made at the house. Take all the tank water you can get out of the old tank or 50% of the volume of the bigger tank as others suggested. You'll still get a small cycle (or a little algae at first) but if you do it right you won't even notice it.

Back
Top Bottom