moving my fish was a disaster!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fourmyclowns

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just sharing my disappointment and sadness with others who love their fish....I started out on this site 2 years ago and had great success and such interesting experiences with our 75 gal reef tank and fish. Recently we relocated and moved the tank twice. Once to a temporary home with only one (recently aquired) Angelfish loss and the second was a 2-3 hour move and lost my huge and funny blue tang Dory, my beloved firefish Spike, my plucky Niger Trigger "the Count", my shrimp even! My two clowns barely made it but are fine. I asked lots of questions at my local fish store before the move and he's the best but I had a last minute predicament . I tried to use a 10 gallon but once loaded we could not fit it in the truck with our entire family and had to quickly switch to a smaller container (that's how they come home from the store so we thought they were fine if they were not fighting). I checked them every 20 minutes and they appeared calm and not in a panic. It must have been in the last 30 minutes of our arrival. Just needed to share, I know we blew it just by accident and we moved them as quickly as possible. The fish store ships to our new city all the time with no losses. He had advised me to move them in a cooler for temp stability but we were at 72degrees and at the very last second could not fit it once loaded with the entire family and had to substitute a smaller container. He thinks they produced too much toxin or used their oxygen to quickly in their stressed state. It's been two months and I never thought I would miss my fish's personalities so much........thanks for being here when I need you advisers and a place to share.

I am very sorry for your loss. I am no expert here but I know I will have to move my 55g eventually and I am currently thinking how i would do it. About 2 days before the move I am thinking on not feeding. This way they wont mess up the water while in transfer. Whatever container I am putting them in must be covered in some kind of dark cloth or bag so as to not stress them. In terms o temp I am not certain how to control that.

When I reported back to the fish store owner my tragedy he said when he ships larger fish he bags them separately so they won't be sharing waste or giving off toxins. We had not previously discussed the size of our fish and I think it was just overlooked. Maybe he just assumed I was going to bag them and then put them in a cooler. I have seen how he receives them and it is a cardboard box,UPS with packing material and a bag inside with the water and fish in a bag like how you usually buy them and take them home in. I sure hope some of the experts here have some advice for you. I would feel better knowing your move went better because of my sharing. I am wondering how far you are transporting? We moved the tank locally twice in two years since it was purchased already established and those moves went really well. Only the newer angelfish didn't make it but I think he got bumped by a tube I had in there for them to hide in. I wouldn't recommend puting any object for hiding in the transport container because any object in water will move just enough to cause a bump to the head for a fish. Please, experts, advise pinda here for a great move! Keep us posted and thanks for your post.

I'll admit my move is a ways off and it will only take like 30 mins to an hour but I am planning it anyhow.

That is not a very comforting thought, and I feel for you. I am very emotional about losing fish:(. We are moving in January, I have a HUGE emporer, Power Brown Tang (he HAS to go seperatly, he is MEAN), Pacific Blue Tang, 2 clowns, 2 chromis, 1 cardinal and one coral bueaty. Oh and a yellow watchman goby. I have 4 starfish and a ton of coral. We have moved several times with no issues, but never with a tank this large (150) or as complicated coral wise. We planned on using a 30g tub (45 min drive). Is this enough and what do we do once we get there since this time it will take longer to set up. Will a change of water be needed? We are going to have fresh saltwater (couple of days old) ready at the new house so that will not be an issue really. I am leary about changeing large amounts of water. I've done that once and lost a fish instantly.

Sorry for your loss! :( I have lost prized fish myself and you never get over the loss of some of them...

Back
Top Bottom