Moving Story - Free Corals? - Long Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i was home on Long Island Last weekend visiting my parents and helping some friends pack their moving truck because they were moving to Maryland. My friend Tom asked me if i can help him help his girlfriends dad move his tank into the truck, it was already emptied and just needed to be brought upstairs and into the truck.

When i got there mostly everything was done, this was a 210 Gallon tank BTW. He had 5 garbage pales and two huge storage bins filled with 300lbs of liverock, water, and a 5 inch sandbase for the tank. He had tons of corals, and had the fish in bags and in styrafome containers, from what i saw he had a purple tang, regal tang, some clowns, six line, etc... Everything was done by the book. It was the first time i met the guy, and hes like if i would have known you were into aquariums i would have saved you a bunch of stuff, "we were scraping xenia off the sides there was so much". the tank is all reef and has been up for 6 years.

Now comes the hardpart, moving a 450lb up a narrow set of stairs, and arount a corner, out the front door and onto the truck. What a pain in the ###, we quickly realized getting it up the stairs would be the hardest part. after lifting it 1 step at a time, we realized their had got to be a better way. We got a narrow peice of plywood that we slid underneath the tank and were able to push/slide the tank up the stairs. once up, the original plan was to back it out the backdoor then tilt it vertical to make the corner, unfortunately the tank was too long to so was taller then the doorway. this only left one choice, direclty out the back door, whic is a pain because right on the stoop there is a banister that you have to lift it over, we got it on the banister and me and my buddy lifted it straigh up, while they were on the stoop holding it at their waist level. now we got to move it sideways down, 8O 8O 8O its tilting, were gonna lose it, Whew, we got it done.

This made me realize, never get a huge tank until you know you will never move again. after loading all the water, thank and all accesories, he said, "give Meghan (his daughter, friends girlfriend) your address, and ill send you some polyps, zoos and shrooms, really hardy stuff. I was like, dont even worry about it, hes said he insists, so i said when i get my lighting up to par ill let you know. Needless to say my PC came in the next day, and i got my first corals last night form the LFS, a small Colony of Zoos, all are opened up, so now im ready for the free stuff.

Thanks for reading,

- Jeff

If your new to the hobby check out the guys at reefcentral.com. they have a section for reef clubs at the bottom of the fourms sections
check out capital reefs, there albany based and are a nice bunch of guys, we had a joint meeting a few years ago and met a bunch of the guys...
good luck with the tank.

havent checked out the site yet, but have been meaning too. I heard from another member that there is a capital district reefers club, probably the one you are talking about. I will be sure to check it out. Thanks

Sounds like a lot of work. But hey...free corals. Welcome to the reef side. It is a long down-hill spiral from here :wink:

Back
Top Bottom