Moving Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightryder1405

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im going to be moving soon so my question is should i wash my sand before i place it back in the tank? I have heard that it will crash the tank if i stir up the sand bed. Its a 60 gallon tank and i have 75lbs of sand. I was thinking of moving the tank with the sand inside still so it would get disturbed as much. What are peoples thought? As long as the bottom dont blow out or could possible weaken i dont mind the extra weight.

When I changed to a bigger tank I used as much old water as I could save and used new sand which I just seeded with a couple of cups of the old sand ! Disturbing the old sand can cause a whole heap of issues ! I had a mini cycle but nothing a couple of water changes couldn't sort out !

Im going to be moving soon so my question is should i wash my sand before i place it back in the tank? I have heard that it will crash the tank if i stir up the sand bed. Its a 60 gallon tank and i have 75lbs of sand. I was thinking of moving the tank with the sand inside still so it would get disturbed as much. What are peoples thought? As long as the bottom dont blow out or could possible weaken i dont mind the extra weight.

How old your sand bed is and how well you take care of it will determine what disturbing it will do. If the sand bed is years old and does not get siphoned or stirred regularly then the sandbed is neglected and most likely it is storing deadly hydrogen sulfide gas or at the minimum loads of nutrients that will be released when u move the tank.? If your sandbed is less then 1 year old you wont have as much to worry about.

After moving a tank you can expect some changes. Algae/cyano blooms are common.

I dont siphon any sand out when i do water changes. I do have a diamond goby that rearranges it daily, and i also have 4 nassarius snails. Tank is about a year old. So i shouldnt try moving the tank with all the sand still in it?

Back
Top Bottom