moving the tank & broken thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chizzle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Earlier today, we had a little bit of a crisis. For some reason, the glass on the thermometer broke. Well, more like cracked. Not sure how it happened, but it shorted out the tank & some of the appliances in the house, but everything is back up & running again. We did a PWC (~10%), just in case, and replaced the thermometer with our back up. Everyone & all equipment seems fine, but is there anything else I should be looking for, or anything else I need to do?

Also, my boyfriend wants to move the tank from downstairs in the living room, to upstairs in the bedroom. I have a general idea of what should be done, but if someone can just post the article again for me, that would be great! Also, if anyone has any tips, that would be greatly appreciated also.

Finally, we were thinking about making a purcahse on Friday (same day as the move), more than likely just snails, hermits & feather dusters, but a fish is possible. I thought this would be the best time since we will be rearraning rocks & territories will be changed. Should we wait, in case we have a mini cycle? I don't think we will, because the rock will be out of water for maybe an hour & we are planning on leaving enough water in the tank to make sure the sand doesn't stir too much, but I just wanted to check. Any suggestions here would be appreciated as well!

Sorry for the long post & TIA.

You should not have much die off so you should not have mini cycle. I would not move the tank with the sand and water in it. Water is 8 lbs to the gallon plus the sand and the tank. Thats alot of weight, would need more than two people. Its a great idea to add new fish after the move but you should qt new fish first. So if you hold off the move until after qt that would be ideal. Snails hermits and feather dusters could be add right after move. Do you have an empty garbage can to empty rocks and water during move.

I think to be on the safe side I would wait a tad bit to make sure all is OK after the move. If you leave the sand in then moving the tank around might move the sand and bring out some of the nasties. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the quick response & all the help. We have 5 people to help move the tank, so I don't think the weight is too much of an issue, it's only a 55gal. We've already moved it once, further away from the wall, completely full, with only 2 people, but thanks for looking out.

QT is a must & will be done, but I was planning on putting my current fish in the QT until we have everything moved & settled down. Figured that would be a little less stressful, right? PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. I've already tested the water, and everything is exactly the same in both tanks. Planning on testing again closer to the move to double check. But anyhow, I didn't want to purchase & expose to any diseases if a mini-cycle was possible.

Would it be better to take the sand out & clean it some, since we are doing the move anyways, or would that harm the bacteria?

And then does anyone have an ideas about the thermometer situation, or did I have a freak accident ;) ?

Thanks again!

chizzle said:
QT is a must & will be done, but I was planning on putting my current fish in the QT until we have everything moved & settled down. Figured that would be a little less stressful, right?
That is a great idea.
chizzle said:
Would it be better to take the sand out & clean it some, since we are doing the move anyways, or would that harm the bacteria?
I wouldn't take the sand out and clean it, you are right, that would probably kill the good bacteria.
chizzle said:
And then does anyone have an ideas about the thermometer situation, or did I have a freak accident
I'm not sure I understand this. Is your thermometer electric, or are you talking about your heater? If the heater, then I have heard of them breaking. I use titanium heaters, personally. They are a little more expensive, but do not crack.

here is on that is not really much more than a glass heater . I have them and like them , the only draw back to them is that you have to epoxy the controller seam right out of the box to prevent seperation .
titanium heater

Roka, thanks for the correction. I did mean the heater. Sorry! Thank you both for the suggestion, I'll start looking around for a titanium one. Wish us luck with the move, will let you know how it goes. Thanks again to everyone.

I have ordered my titanium heaters from premiumaquatics. I used the link on this site, to help support it aa. I bought the finnex ones. I have 4 of the digital ones and love them.

Back
Top Bottom