Mp10 too much flow for a 50 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a Mp10 for my tank cause I love how small it is. I just rebuilt my aquascape to help get rid of dead spots, But even on 30% (the third Led) in Nutrient Export mode, my torch, Duncans and frog spawn are getting blown around. I have it in the middle of the left side glass. Did I really just waste all this money on a Power head I can't really use? I also have a Marineland 3-360 with Purigen and Phosguard in it which is pumping 360gph. So did I really waste money getting a mp10?

Here are some pics of my Newly built aquascape and coral placement. Sorry it was lights out when I took these pics so corals are kinda closed up.

sep1c7.jpg

2vb2dl3.jpg

epel3m.jpg

s6oc2r.jpg

I use an MP10 in my 60g cube and its the perfect flow. BUT my tank is only 24 inches wide... I keep mine about halfway down the tank wall, say 12 inches..How tall is your tank? Perhaps you could move it higher up?

I would actually think an MP10 would be too small for a 50...but tell us about your tank dimensions if you would. From your pictures, the tank looks like a 55 to me so adding clearity will help in the matter. Have you tried other modes? What happens when you turn it down to 20%?

I think you would be ok because the 55 standard tank is pretty narrow and the flow has the potential to be concentrated and will cause a lot of disruption on its way back. My MP10 on my 40 breeder is set on reef crest mode at only 40%. If I put it up to 75 % my tank looks like it's being dismantled. I say you are fine, play with the settings, find what's best, and enjoy.

I think you would be ok because the 55 standard tank is pretty narrow and the flow has the potential to be concentrated and will cause a lot of disruption on its way back. My MP10 on my 40 breeder is set on reef crest mode at only 40%. If I put it up to 75 % my tank looks like it's being dismantled. I say you are fine, play with the settings, find what's best, and enjoy.

I took it off Nutrient Export and set it to reef crest 60%. they seem to like it and it doesn't blow them around.

I took it off Nutrient Export and set it to reef crest 60%. they seem to like it and it doesn't blow them around.

Good to hear. With all it's settings I would be very surprised if you couldn't make it work for you... Also, if you find reef rest to be too violent, try the lagoon mode. It ramps up and declines at a more gradual pace.

That mode is designed to stir everything up so your filtration can get it out of the tank. Reef Crest is my favorite. My 45 cube is at 75% RC and everything is happy and no dead spots. I did it slowly though. Every few day i would go up one led light and let the corals get us to it. Now everything loves it.

I literally have the same exact problem !! Try this , i put it on the back of the tank in the middle towards the top , on reef crest and everything gets perfect flow while maintaining zero dead spots , try that !!! If they still get blown turn it down a notch or two

Back
Top Bottom