mushroom salinity help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mghslowell

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys ive had my reef tank for about 3 or 4 years now have a good population of mushrooms but latley i have been getting a little lazy with te tank and checked my salinity after doing a water change and it was at 1.018 now over the course of 8 hours i went up to 1.022 but what is a good benchmark for salinity for mushrooms ?

i have mushroom rock, coral beauty, marine cat, carpet anemone, and a manderine. 55g 70 lbs lr sand ss. 240 watt pc

1.024-1.026 is ideal, but the most important thing in your case is that when raising the salinity, you want to do it very slowly! Otherwise it will shock the inhabitants.

I agree 1.024-26 is ideal but raise it very slowly. 1.018 to 1.022 in a 8 hours is too fast. I would have spread that increase out over 2 days.

yeah it got a lil out of control my sump pump went hay wire so i used reg tap water blah ! so that ph at 1.024 26 is good overall for the whole tank ? and another thing my pc light is really evaporating my water i am loosing about 8 gallons in 5 days and the salinity jumps up and down fish dont seem to mind. want to put as much less stress as possible to my mushrooms anyone have any ideas how to maintain salinity or is it accpetable

Get a dosing can like the Kent 2.5 or 5 gallon drip doser or make one yourself. Then set the drip rate to the approximate evaporation rate. You still need to fill the doser once or twice a week, but that's a lot easier.

You could also go all out and get an auto-topoff system going.

Back
Top Bottom