My anemones tragic end

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpaq2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
So about 2 months ago I decided I would get my first ever anemone. Because my current 75 gallon was the first real proper reef tank I've ever had and it had been set up for about 5 months with fairly consistently good parameters I decided to go to my LFS and pick up a green bubble tip anemone. After getting him he was perfectly fine for the first couple days but then he kept moving from place to place and never really settled down on a single spot. One pattern I noticed was he kept attaching himself to this one spot inside a cave in my rock work which gave him absolutely no light. After moving him from that's spot 2-3 times with him returning to it each time I just decided to let him be and let him leave it on his own. A month has passed sense then and because his spot was in a place not easily visible I kind of half forgot about him and assumed he was getting light still just from an angle I couldn't see. Today I decided I would try and move him 1 last time but after moving away the rocks I saw a completely decomposed gray blob where my anemone one was. Currently I have no idea why this happened and kind of want some answers as to allow me to prevent something like this from happening again in the future. So why did he keep going under the rock work? And what likely caused his death?

Any help would be great!

Anemone don't have brains. They do things to find a place where they can be comfortable. Doesn't mean that such a place is going to be in their best interest. Some have used PAR 38 bulbs to provide them light when they do this, but the reasoning that it happens is extremely hard to pin down. Could have been the flow, lack of anything swimming around bothering it...who knows.

I had one the went to a power head and got shredded to pieces. My ammonia spike was off the charts and the smell was awful by the time I got home from work. Wonder what your ammonia levels were.

Back
Top Bottom