My Clown is bullying (and killing) fish. What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boardsurfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've inherited a 125 gallon tank about a year ago. I've had inverts, cuc, and a mated pair of ocellaris clowns in there for about a year (the only fish in there so far).

I added 6 green chromis to the tank over the last 2 weeks. Within these 2 weeks the big clown has nipped and nipped and picked off their dorsal fins to where I now have 2 green chromis left. She is now bullying the last 2 as well.

I thought it would end over 3 to 5 days, but it's still going on. So- just curious, would you keep the clown and try with other types of fish, or sell the clown back to the lfs?

As an alternative (last straw), I was thinking of adding a lawnmower blenny (because I'm going to anyway) and seeing if the clown picked at it. If it does- the clown is gone.

What are your thoughts?

I would rehome the clowns unless you are really really liking them. You will have the same problem with other fish you add most likely as well. Although my algae blenny stays very well hidden so I doubt the clowns would go into the rockwork to find him.

Thanks Carey. Would you sell both back to the lfs, keep one, or sell both back to the store and try a new mated pair? I really like the look of clowns...

Have you tried taking the clowns out for awhile and then putting them back in or rearranging the rocks. If the clowns have had the whole tank to themselves for a year, then that's your problem - they've claimed the whole tank as their territory.

Otherwise, I'd just get rid of the female then.

**I have 2 clowns, 1 wrasse, and 1 goby in a 10g tank (QT) right now with no problems, so it is do-able. And another pair of clowns and 1 firefish in a 10g tank (QT) with no problems. Don't wait so long in between new additions :) **

Problem is that clowns can be mighty territorial and showing aggression towards "new additions" is not unexpected.

You could try removing the clown for awhile, until you've finished adding new fish, then re-add the clown back into the mix. Moving around rockwork in the meantime could also help. Basically, that clown thinks the tank is his and has labeled each and every gallon of water as "mine mine mine". By removing him and reworking the layout, you may be able to convince him that he's the new guy in a new environment.

I got 1 clown and it's like a bulldog I put my hand in the tank and it bites me none stop my over fish are fine tho maybe coz they larger

I got 1 clown and it's like a bulldog I put my hand in the tank and it bites me none stop my over fish are fine tho maybe coz they larger

Yea I had the same issue with my ocellaris. Used to bite the crap out of me and anyone who helped clean up the tank.

Actually had a service coming in for awhile when I broke my leg, and the little bastich actually drew blood on him.

No more clowns for me ;)

bighabeeb said:
Yea I had the same issue with my ocellaris. Used to bite the crap out of me and anyone who helped clean up the tank.

Actually had a service coming in for awhile when I broke my leg, and the little bastich actually drew blood on him.

No more clowns for me ;)

Mine has taken to this after they paired up and the larger made the change. She is RUDE, but she doesn't bother my other fish....

Since it is a pair it you shouldn't really split them up try and find a home for both of them. Clowns get very territorial as they get older and yours decided the whole tank was theirs. My lawnmower actually bullies my clown. It will depend on the fish actually.

Have you tried taking the clowns out for awhile and then putting them back in or rearranging the rocks. If the clowns have had the whole tank to themselves for a year, then that's your problem - they've claimed the whole tank as their territory.

Otherwise, I'd just get rid of the female then.

**I have 2 clowns, 1 wrasse, and 1 goby in a 10g tank (QT) right now with no problems, so it is do-able. And another pair of clowns and 1 firefish in a 10g tank (QT) with no problems. Don't wait so long in between new additions :) **

Unfortunately, I aquascaped about a month before I added the chromis (and am not going to make changes again- I really like the way I have it now). I also put my large female in my sump/refugium for a couple of days hoping she would relax with the new fish, but that didn't do anything to help.

Also- the reason I waited so long to add new livestock is because I want to go reef, and am just waiting until I can save enough $$ for lights. I know I could have added my livestock in the meantime, but I was just fine waiting. Hindsight- I should have had more fish to begin with.

Unfortunately, I aquascaped about a month before I added the chromis (and am not going to make changes again- I really like the way I have it now). I also put my large female in my sump/refugium for a couple of days hoping she would relax with the new fish, but that didn't do anything to help.

Also- the reason I waited so long to add new livestock is because I want to go reef, and am just waiting until I can save enough $$ for lights. I know I could have added my livestock in the meantime, but I was just fine waiting. Hindsight- I should have had more fish to begin with.

I totally understand not wanting to move the rocks lol. And I wasn't faulting you for waiting so long to add fish, this is just one of the "side affects" if you will lol. I'm thinking you are either gonna have to...

(a) remove the clowns, both if they are a mated pair

or

(b) get some fish that are semi-aggressive and of comparable size that won't take the bullying from the female clown...but that can be tricky.

Mine always makes me jump little bugger makes cleaning a challenge

Well, I'm down to 1 chromis :( I called the LFS and they said they'd be happy to have them back as a mated pair, and I can just trade them out. I think that'll work best. I'm actually going to have them hold the 2 new clowns until I stock the tank with the other more docile fish first- then put in the two clowns, and then the yellow tang after that.

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah good idea special with ur yellow tang last I got a yellow tang a regal and a nasso tang they lovely fish

Have you seen the clowns actully hurt the chromis they are really bad at doing that to each other I was told to buy chromis in a group and every time I buy a bunch I end up with only one they kill eachother

I'm hoping I don't fall into a similar situation. I have no clue the sex of my clowns. They are quite small though. I bought 2 and they have done real well. But my tank then cycled and I made additions of more LR to get my cycle going. But, I live in the middle of no where and even my LFS will need to order in my fish. They have a nice supply, but I'm not going to fill my tank with nothing but clowns and chocolate chip starfish... but my hope is that there won't be an issue because in this little, maybe 20 gal tank, they had atleast 15 clowns in it. That is my hope anyway. I added a damsel which was semi aggressive towards them, but found him dead when I came home from work (from my nitrite spike).

My clowns are bullies to but i put a carpet nem in there and they are not as bad anymore have you tried putting a nem in there to hang out in

I had almost the exact same problem happen to me. I bought the mated pair frm the lfs and they were fine for about a month and then out of nowhere the female started bullying the male. Bad. His fins were all nipped up and she wud be constantly chasing him around the tank. He even jumped out of the tank twice running from her. I felt so bad for the smaller male....he was trying to hide in every little crevice to get a break but she Wud find him and go right for him. I tried seperating them with eggcrate for about 5 days, but I ultimately had to remove the female and bring her back to the lfs. He gave me $20 bucks for her, which I thought was fair since I didn't want either of the fish to get hurt or die.

Ever since I got rid of her....all the fish mates get along perfectly! Firefish, hippo tang and clown are good friends.

Luv the clowns but ur prob gonna have to remove the b*tch.

Tmyboy said:
I had almost the exact same problem happen to me. I bought the mated pair frm the lfs and they were fine for about a month and then out of nowhere the female started bullying the male. Bad. His fins were all nipped up and she wud be constantly chasing him around the tank. He even jumped out of the tank twice running from her. I felt so bad for the smaller male....he was trying to hide in every little crevice to get a break but she Wud find him and go right for him. I tried seperating them with eggcrate for about 5 days, but I ultimately had to remove the female and bring her back to the lfs. He gave me $20 bucks for her, which I thought was fair since I didn't want either of the fish to get hurt or die.

Ever since I got rid of her....all the fish mates get along perfectly! Firefish, hippo tang and clown are good friends.

Luv the clowns but ur prob gonna have to remove the b*tch.

Thats wierd bacause one was bigger then the other... Could the tank have been to small for the two of them or something?

Have you seen the clowns actully hurt the chromis they are really bad at doing that to each other I was told to buy chromis in a group and every time I buy a bunch I end up with only one they kill eachother

You know, I haven't actually SEEN the clownfish pick at their fins, but she is constantly chasing them around (well, just 1 chromis now- all others are dead). I never thought that the chromis' might be doing it to each other. I didn't see them pursuing each other like the female clown has been doing.

I did buy all of the chromis together, too.

Back
Top Bottom