My day at the zoo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all, Just thought I would share my Zoo experience with you. I went to the Minnesota Zoo yesterday and I know a guy who works there in the Public Safety Department. He gave me a back stage tour of all of the aquitics buildings. They have a 1.3million gal dolphin tank (five dolphins), a 250,000gal shark tank (various sharks and agressive fish), a 90,000 "coral reef" tank (stuffed with reef fish from the indio-pacific and red Sea, a shark and ray estuary and a tidal pool with stars and anemones. I got to go back and see all of the filters, holding tanks, QT tanks and water prep areas. It was very cool! In everything but the dolphin tank they use Instant Ocean, and a lot of it. In the 1.3million gal dolphin tank they actually use food-grade table salt to make the SW. I found that very interesting. If any of you live near a zoo or large public aquarium, I suggest you try to arrange for a tour of the facilities. It was very interesting and made my day. Just thought I would share...Lando

Ok Jealous again!!!! :mrgreen: For the love ofall that is good Lando stop torturing me with your zoo stories, new anemones, blah, blah, blah........

That is awesome, and I really am jealous.

Very cool!! So when does construction start for you?
Ya, I wish. Like most out there I could easily afford to build a large system like they have, but the maintanance costs would get to me. :wink: They spend over $400,000 a year on Instant Ocean. It comes in huge square bags that must be four foot cubes, one per pallet. they had 21 of them all lined up. Amazing. Actually what really amazed me was how simple it really was. Several large sand filters, holding tanks, mixing tanks, a bunch of pipes and valves. that was it. All computer monitored and controled.

Back
Top Bottom