My Dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Crabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
My favorite fish is the Majestic Angel. I have had my Majestic Angel for 2 years; raised him to adult coloration from a juvi the size of a penny. And let me clarify something. By favorite I mean the Majestic was the fish that sparked my interest in the hobby 25 years ago and it has always been that special fish to me.

I set my current tank up just to showcase this fish. All others in the tank are to keep him company.

The reef bug has bitten me again. :(

I bought 6 coral frags to "test the waters". He destroyed 4. I know, I know....he's just doing what he does. It appears that he will let me keep mushrooms, ricordea, and GSP type corals.

My question is, would you part ways with your favorite fish to go back to a total reef tank? Struggling with this. My buddy, who I bought my frags from said he's got to go.

I would get a second tank to be honest. Would a small biocube or other size tank be ok for you to meet your reef obsession?

Personally, I would not get rid of THE fish that got you into the hobby. For me it's the Fowleri Tang and there's no way I'd ever get rid of it. But if you did want to get rid of it, maybe see if there's a friend in the area who has a FOWLR that'll take it off your hands? Better to have it go to a good home imo.

I would get a second tank to be honest. Would a small biocube or other size tank be ok for you to meet your reef obsession?

Personally, I would not get rid of THE fish that got you into the hobby. For me it's the Fowleri Tang and there's no way I'd ever get rid of it. But if you did want to get rid of it, maybe see if there's a friend in the area who has a FOWLR that'll take it off your hands? Better to have it go to a good home imo.
+1 I totally agree. I realized I am limited to reef safe fish on my tank so I decided to get a 28 gal nano tank for corals and converted the first one to FOLR. Now I can get any fish or corals I want.

That sounds like the only way forward, aside from setting up a large tank dedicated to SPS to house my angel. It's strange that some people keep large angels that are known coral killers in a reef with success. I'm assuming the devistation to minor frags is to much to allow them to grown and flourish. Ho hum.

I guess another tank is the way. I've fought hard to keep my obsessions at bay, once having 8 tanks going and a house that sounded like a water park. I wouldn't feel this way, but when he demolished a rock of 30 zoanthids, I got the message. For the love of God, not even ZOAS!

Mushrooms and GSP ain't gonna cut it. I thought about fashioning some sort of netting to protect zoas, but I digress.

Back
Top Bottom