My First SW Endevour [ Frmrly: Got my tanks today! ]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got my tanks for the saltwater setup today.

I just have it setting next to my TV in the living room until I set it up :)

I was thinking powerheads to pump water from one tank to another, is that the right way to do it?

Thats why I asked if it was the right way to do it, Steve ;)

obsessed, its 6 tanks if you count the sump :p

im the same way have a 90/70/55 with a 55 fuge and 50 sump but still alway want another for one thing or another

Okay, I'm looking at big-als to order my heaters for the SW tank, I was thinking of doing 2 200watt Visi-therm heaters. Was thinking one in the main tank hidden behind LR, and one in the 10gal sump.

Is this a good idea?

Also, do I need a UV sterilizer? and can anyone suggest a rather cheap skimming system for my setup?

i have never used a heater my self !! uv are ok not really needed imo if ya qt good !! for your setup and ya want a cheapy go with the seaclone but drill a hole in the lid and add a hard 3/16th line with a small air stone works great imo !! with out the air stone they are trash !!

I know that you are looking for a cheap skimmer but this is not the way to approach it.. You need to get a good one like aqua c remora from captivereefs.com you really need to get a good one.. Now personally I love what it takes out.. but the bubbles it puts in are outragous so also get the surface skimmer..

DOan

Doan said:
I know that you are looking for a cheap skimmer but this is not the way to approach it.. You need to get a good one like aqua c remora from captivereefs.com you really need to get a good one.. Now personally I love what it takes out.. but the bubbles it puts in are outragous so also get the surface skimmer..

DOan

When I say cheap I ment if anyone spotted a good one on ebay or aquabid. ;)

Stocking Idea.
I'm a total n00b to SW fish, so I've just been doing what research I can.. and wanted to run this stocking passed everyone.

Radiata Lionfish

2-4 PomPom/Boxer/Anemone Crabs
Dieterius Attack Pack Standard

Algae Attack Pack Standard

And maybe, Just Maybe

Ghost Eel

Not to mention any corals or anemone's after the tank matures quite a ways.

Also, I was wondering if the 10gal sump would be big enough, or should i upgrade to a 20gal?

And when I eventually get everything set up, would it be wise to buy something like a 55gal rubbermaid garbage can, and mix up my water in there to the right salinty, have a powerhead to keep the water moving so it dosn't go stagnant, So I can just scoop water out of there when I need to top the tank?

Hi Wiliam,
I'm planning my tank too right now (don't even have it yet or know what size! You're way ahead of me there!) Here are my thoughts:

You may want to skip the "attack packs" for now. The ones I've seen are expensive. Wait to see what you get on the LR. Liverocks.com may be cheaper for you, shipping-wise, since you live in FL. I read that lots of crabs and maybe some snails are already on the rock, plus other cool hitchhikers.

And when I eventually get everything set up, would it be wise to buy something like a 55gal rubbermaid garbage can, and mix up my water in there to the right salinty, have a powerhead to keep the water moving so it dosn't go stagnant, So I can just scoop water out of there when I need to top the tank?

For topping off the tank, you should just use RO water, without any salt mix. The amount of salt doesn't leave your tank -- just the water evaporates.

Otherwise, yes, that's a good idea -- using the garbage can to prepare the saltwater mix for water changes. I've read that most people do this also. You may need to add a heater to the garbage can in the winter. You may want to add a thermometer too so you know when the water matches the tank's water temperature. The powerhead is definitely a good idea. You don't want the water to get stagnant. Some powerheads can also pump the water out of the garbage can and up to your tank. You'll need some tubing, and check the powerhead to be sure it's strong enough to pump the water up the number of feet that you need to get it in your tank. I think this is called "head space" or "head height". If you need to pump your water up 4 feet to get to your tank, make sure the powerhead's head space is 4 feet.

The garbage can of water would be outside, so I'd just be bucketing it in or something :-\ And yeah, I planned on the heater to, if nothing else the garbage can could be a makesift QT tank to! :p LOL

another question, my tap water is 7.2 PH, Will the live rock/sand/ect ect bring that up to the 8.0, 8.2 range that, from what I understand, is needed for SW tanks.. or will I have to do something else like throw some crushed coral/clam shells/ect ect in the tank to boost the PH?

Stocking Idea.
I'm a total n00b to SW fish, so I've just been doing what research I can.. and wanted to run this stocking passed everyone.

Radiata Lionfish

2-4 PomPom/Boxer/Anemone Crabs
Ghost Eel

I think those crabs would make a great meal for you fish.

Your salt mix will bring your pH up to the desired level (about 8.2) if you use RO water. pH may also change as it mixes in your container. That's why you let the water mix up for about 24 hours before you use it as your changing water, so the pH and also the salinity are stable. I have no choice but to use RO water for my salt tank; my tap water is so bad that I use some RO water now for my FW tanks. If you're using tap water, it should be free of phosphates (phosphates can feed algae). Test the phosphate level of your tap water, and try mixing up some salt mix and see what the pH ends up. I think CC will also boost pH, but be careful, don't just throw some in there without testing your pH fist. Also, steve-s said that CC can be a detrius trap, and sand is an easier substrate to work with. (I may have a very small amount of CC because it seems that the fish I want likes to play in it!)

Anyway, I would try mixing some salt mix with your tap water and then check your pH, and see how stable it is too.

Okay, as for lighting... I think I finally figured stuff out.

2 175watt Metal Halide bulbs, 2 33watt PC 20k daylights, 2 33watt antinics.

This sound right?

You are very obsessed. Maybe you could look into making a water bed of fish. Hehe

Its my first SW tank and I just want to do it right :)

altho, seeing as this will be my 5th tank, and my 6th tank [ 75gal ] coming soon, and am currently talking to a guy about selling me is 125gal, I guess you could say I am suffering from an extreme case of MTS.

Back
Top Bottom