My Friends Bubble tipped anemone disappeared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saratj1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My friend got a Green BTA about a week ago and It seemed to be doing fine. He had just bought a new light fixture so he could support an anemone (a 48'' 4 bulb t5ho). The anemone has done fine moved the first day or two then settled on some live rock a domino damsel started hosting it a little. Everything was fine when he went to sleep last night. He woke up this morning and cannot find it anywhere. Gone without a trace. Any ideas of what could have happend? The anemone was a medium sized one probably around 8"-10" max diameter, seems like it couldnt just vanish. He has a regular 55g tank with live rock stacked staggered stairs one rock wide by two rocks high so not many hiding places as you can see all around the rocks they run in a row right down the middle of the tank. He has one maxi-jet 600 on each end of the tank. If the bta got sucked up into the powerhead wouldnt pieces be floating around ?

It didn't get sucked up. it's probably hiding from the new light, or unhappy with something else. Move the rocks around and you'll find it under one. It may be shriveled up and look like a glob instead of an anemone.
2 maxijet 600 power heads is no where near enough flow for that tank. These are the mj pros, correct? If the anemone got sucked into one you would see him still in it.

He found it, He's an idiot. It closed up in between two rocks and the sand bed (kinda a wierd spot) . I told him my condy closes up around every two weeks or so (usually when it poops) so maybe thats what its doing or maybe its unhappy. Who knows but at least its found and alive. I told him to maybe look into getting some more powerheads. I reccomended the maxi jet 600 because I have a mj 600 and 1200, and can hardly tell a difference in the flow, if you put your hand right in front of them they feel about the same whether your hand is close or further away, I realize that just b/c I cant feel a difference doesnt mean there isnt one. So what would you reccomend to increase the flow?

Check out Hydor Koralias, Seio Prop pumps, and Aqueon power heads. I would want something like a pair of 800gph power heads at least for a 4' tank. Probably more.

+1 on the Hydor Koralias i have three Hydor Koralia 2's. two are on a controler and the thrid is in the middle of the tank and cuts off when the lights go off.

I just wasn't impressed. I have one on as kinda a spot flow for an sps that I have. I also like the magnet, but the flow is way exaggerated when compared with the marinelands. I have the koralia 400 I think the next size up from a nano. It's rated at 425gph. The mj 600 is rated at 160gph and flow wise blows the koralia away, I would estimate that it doubles the koralias flow maybe even triples it. And the koralia cost twice as much. That's my experience with the koralias and I was disappointed because I had wanted one for a while before getting one.

I have at least a dozen koralias in my tanks and am still pleased with them all. LOL

I have two aqueons which I will never buy again, loud and they fall off my glass. :-(

The seio's that Mr X mentioned are also pretty good too.

Everything I have with suction cups I've been replacing with magnets, I just take the cups off and glue magnets in their place. My heater just popped off last night. So I guess I will be doing that next.
I've never heard of that brand. A fish store in Nashville carries sicce brand an italian company. They look nice, a little more expensive than the koralias though.

I just bought yet another Aqueon. I haven't had a single problem with any of them and I do love the fact that their 2400gph power head is not very large. I have a 1250, two 1650's and now a 2400 that all are still stuck where I originally stuck them when I bought them. Cross your fingers!

Do you clean your glass where they are ? I put mine on my back glass and I don't clean around them so there's some algae and I think maybe that's what causes the problems with the suction cups.

Saratj1 said:
Everything I have with suction cups I've been replacing with magnets, I just take the cups off and glue magnets in their place. My heater just popped off last night. So I guess I will be doing that next.
I've never heard of that brand. A fish store in Nashville carries sicce brand an italian company. They look nice, a little more expensive than the koralias though.

What magnets are you using?

The koralia flow is more wide, gentle, and diffused than an MJ flow. The MJ puts out a powerful jet stream. It might not seem like as much flow when compared, but it's not direct so you won't feel it all directly on your hand.

Oh, also, make some foam guards or buy something to protect your anemone from the maxi jets. They have wider slits for water flow making it easier for the nem to get in there. I lost a BTA to a maxi jet a couple of days ago. I should have protected it.

Back
Top Bottom