My Mandarin jumped and died?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exiowans

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have/had a pair of Mandarins for about 3-4 months in a well seasoned 30 gallon reef tank. I have gotten them to eat frozen mysis, cyclops, some brine and even some .5mm sinking pellets. Tonight I was running low on a few supplies so I went to the LFS. Came back to my male dead, stuck to my floor. Has anyone ever heard of a Mandarin jumping? They have been pretty slow movers even when I have been moving things around in the tank.

Tank: 30 Gal
20-25 lbs live rock
approx. 2.5 inch live sand
Water 80 degrees
pH 8.4
Calcium 490-500
Ammonia=0 Nitrates=0 Nitrites= 0
1 Lamnmower
1 Goldenhead Gobby
2 med size true perc Clowns
lots of coral mostly soft varieties

I have never heard of it but nothing surprises me in this hobby. Anything is possible.

Sorry to hear about your fish jumping. I had a fish jump out and die yesterday too. Mine was a yellow wrasse, I'm surprised it stayed in the tank as long as I did. I have heard of some gobeis jumping but not a mandarin dragonette... just one of those things I guess.

Bulk Reef Supply now offers the clear netting to make a lid that blocks basicly no light. clear netting in 1/2 or 1/4 inch sizes

I've got plenty of netting to ship.

And that is a new one to me. A mandarin jumping. I've never seen one as much as flinch from any other fish. Just hover the other way. What other critters are in there?

my friends jumped into their overflow, doesnt surprise me

sorry about your loss, they are a wonderful and intruiging fish

Sorry for your loss. The only think i can think of is that you had a mated pair. Mandarins do a "spawning acent" which is just the pair swimming full speed towards the top of the tank. A 30g is to shallow for them to finish the ascent generally so they may have hit the top and the male accidentally jumped the tank. Did the lights turn off when you went to the store?

Sorry for the late reply. Didn't even think of that, but that would make sense. I have a new male and thus far he is keeping himself hydrated.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom