My new baby!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's a picture of my new baby!

golden-moray.jpg

He's coming with the male from the mated pair of maroons that I took the female from. I'm going to move her into my 30 with the eel and the male. I go to pick them up tomorrow night. I'm just hoping that the male hasn't gone through his change yet!

He was originally sold to his current owner as a Dwarf Golden Moray, but has recently been IDd as a Brazilian Golden Moray. He's been roughly a foot for the last few years so I'm hoping that the whole "doesn't reach full potential in captivity" thing rings true for him. I have a 65 in waiting that I'll get drilled if he starts to look crampy in the 30 I'm planning him for. He's in a 30 now and that's where he's been for the last 2+ years. I fell in love with him when I picked Merlot up and have been looking at them (399$) drooling for quite some time now. I'm tickled yellow to have him coming home!

I'll be getting him for 100$ (SCORE!). He wanted 350 for him but had to move him in a hurry. The Brazilian doesn't look anything like this though so I'm a bit confused as to the ID. Once I get him in and snap some pics of him you'll see some more of him! He comes home tonight!

Stripes... I've never owned an eel before. Anything tricky to keeping them? I know I need to add a bit more rockwork for him but other than that....? The tank has a top on it but you can see in a tiny bit where the filters fall in. Are they all escape artists and how much do I have to worry about the gaps between the filter and the top?

Ive had 5 eels.. not all at once.. the most ive kept is three at a time..

Nothing too tricky...!
Escape artists - not really, at night they generally go on abit of a stroll..

My snowflake doesnt move more than halfway up the tank..unless i feed him..
and my zebra.. does occasionally try to "escape" if u wanna call it that.. but as soon as he sticks hes head out of the water he realises he cant breathe and plonks back down to the bottom..

If your worried about the gaps buy some sponge (like the kind u wash ur car with.. tear it up and stick it in the gaps.. :)

Feeding..

No probs.. i feed once every 2-3 days..mainly prawns (shrimp) and every now and then soak in selcon for added vitamins..

Is the eel molar-toother or incisor-toothed.. that will generally tell u what to feed them..

If it is molar toothed.. when u feed it shrimp.. peel the shell.. obviously in the wild they wouldnt have this done, but it minimises the mess immensely.. ie; they'll end up regurgitating the shell..

A fair bit of rockwork..leave enough space so that will not actually topple any rocks and squish itself or any tankmates..

the hardest thing to get used to is.. the so called blankness of your tank.. it will look like nothing is in there.. but u soon realise that owning an eel outweighs the somewhat unliveliness..

Thats it i think.. oh yeah and a protein skimmer :)

Water changes just do them as you would a normal tank..

Any other questions I'm here to help

There's 40g of water right now (10g sump) but no skimmer. I'll have to find out what kind of teeth he has, preferably without losing a finger in the process, lol! I think he's eating mostly prawns now (like human consumable, might have to fight my husband for them or some fish store version of these as in the difference between bait and calamare)?!

We moved the anthias into the main last night (amazing how much I miss them in my bedroom). Today we're going to do a massive water change and syphon out any remaining yuck in the tank to get it ready for the eel.

Do they need/like sand? The tank is BB right now. With the maroons in there I'd like to keep it BB, but will change it over to sand if need be for his happiness!

eels tend t0 "shake" in the sandbed...they think it is enjoyable. I think as long as you have sufficient rock it will be plenty happy. I have read some theories that eels stirring up the sandbed can cause the sandbed to release noxious substances into the water. (from deep sandbed situations), due to this, I have shallow sand and lots of rock in my eels' tank.

just by looking at him it looks like he may have molars.. i just purchase prawns from the local fish markets, peel them, freeze them and thaw them out when i need to feed.

if you dont want to get a skimmer you'd probably need to do 25% water changes every 3-4 days..making sure you stir up the base to get all the yuck out..

I havent seen an eel tank without sand except at the lfs..i have cc substrate and i have no probs with that..just have to try and mimic their natural habitat as much as possible.. alot of rock and some type of substrate = much better than an empty tank and a PVC pipe..! LOL..

Oh yeah you probably already no this but......... NO ICH...YAY!!!!!!!!!

Post pics when he's in your tank!!!

GL and enjoy the other side of marine tanks!!

He doesn't appear to have incisors. Pretty safe to say he's got molars. The guy I got him from has been feeding him Krill. He's surprisingly active. I'm shocked by just how active he is. Is that normal? I woke up this morning to see him zipping all over.

Here are a couple of pics of him at home:
p6212963s.jpg

p6222973s.jpg

p6222977s.jpg

They'll tend to do that.. Im guessing hes just getting used to the surroundings and making tunnels and what not.. I've been trying to ID him since i saw the post, but no luck.. have u got a proper ID yet..?

Not yet. I've posted on RC and sent a PM to the guy who said he definitely wasn't a dwarf golden. I'm hoping for some additional information.

The guy who said he wasn't a DGE (Gymnothorax melatremus) suggested that he was a hawaiian morph (Gymnothorax miliaris) and would get to 24-30". This little guy is already 2-4 years old and is still only 12-14" having only grown an inch or two over the last two years.

In the second pic you can actually see his two incisors, yes?

I'm leaning towards a rare color morph of a Goldentail Moray. That's the closest thing I've seen to him which means that he'll need a bigger tank some day. The good news is that he's not grown very fast over the last two years, so hopefully he'll stay relatively small for some time. Given that I'm not sure if the 100 was over-priced or under priced, but I love him just the same!

yeah thats the toughie with eels that have no ID or no one has seen before. you dont know what is a good price.. well given that he is the size he is.. a good couple of years he can stay in the tank.. at least 4 or 5.. im currently setting up a 100gal 5 foot for my zebra.. hes in a 3ft atm.. but he is 3 ft now!! he'll enjoy the extra space..! i'll keep looking for an ID.. good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom