My new DIY Sump/Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reese

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's actually up and running now. However, the fuge only contains aragonite sand and water. I'll be adding the lighting, LR, macroalgae and other assorted lifeforms in the near future.

It was almost up and running last night until I realized that I miscalculated the depth of my cabinet and I had to wait until today to saw out a chunk of the back so it would make the turn and fit in the cabinet. I could have done it last night but I thought I'd better no risk waking up the kids...

I would take some pictures of the set up running but it seems I've created quite a sandstorm. So, again, I'll wait until tomorrow...

My main tank is a 75 gallon FOWLR in the process of being converted to a reef. I made the new sump out of my old 29 gallon tank...

100_7277.JPG

100_7278.JPG

I am building one myself, a little different, but I have a question for you....

What is the overflow inside the sump/fuge for?

And how did you support the crate?....more pics please! :lol:

Thanks...

SeeDemTails said:
What is the overflow inside the sump/fuge for?

And how did you support the crate?....more pics please! :lol:

In the first area I just imitated my current wet/dry. So I removed all the bio balls from my other smaller sump and placed them on top of the eggcrate. I don't have enough established LR to rely on it for my complete filtration. Once the baserock seeds I should be fine if I want to remove the bio balls.

The eggcrate is supported by pieces of 1/4" acrylic siliconed to the sides of the tank.

The return pump is a Mag 9.5. My overflow/return is not rated high enough to handle all the output. So I have the line from the pump split three ways with ball valves. One goes into the fuge on the right, another goes straight back to the main tank and a third goes right back into the center (pump) area. That way I can control the flow to the tank and fuge without choking off the pump.

I'll take some pictures tonight and post them ASAP...

Okay, apparently I can't post again for another 12 hours unless somebody else does first. So, I'm just adding to my previous post below:

img_638103_0_25f6dfc6fbadb39f79ee97a5bffc529b.jpg

img_638103_1_25429f6d5a2cf81c8f1ef2c11d944dc7.jpg

img_638103_2_f6a6ad39dd4796d72e6a637352b96ae5.jpg

Up and running. Next I'll add LR and macro to the fuge along with snails etc.

Please excuse the temporary doors on the cabinet. I still have to finish a pair of cherry shaker doors to match the cabinetry. Also, that thing sitting on the bottom of my fuge is the filter pad from the old wet/dry. It was loaded with pods so I tossed it in the fuge.

And the one downside to this upgrade is that I no longer have any room to store anything in the cabinet. I'll have to make some shelves for the right side for food and stuff...

I tried to take a few shots of the main tank but they didn't come out very well so I'll have to toy with my wife's digital camera a bit. Plus only the actinics are on now so it is what it is. Anyway that's my tang with a blurred clown in front of him and my deformed BTA on the rocks...

img_638103_3_edeb8616b4e30f37eef9f60db6a71c36.jpg
[/img]

I like the idea of the fuge inside the sump!

I also like the idea of the pump returning into the sump as well at the tank/fuge. Do you use the ball valve that goes back into the sump to control the flow for the entire system? Or do you adjust both of them to control flow to the main?

looks nice... what type of silacone did you use and where did you get your plexi glass. I am getting ready to upgrade my 55 to a 90 and I am going to us a 30 for the sump/fuge..

great pics..

SeeDemTails said:
I like the idea of the fuge inside the sump!

I also like the idea of the pump returning into the sump as well at the tank/fuge. Do you use the ball valve that goes back into the sump to control the flow for the entire system? Or do you adjust both of them to control flow to the main?

In my case I have a MAG 9.5 rated for 950 gph and an overflow rated for around 700 gph. So I was already diverting back into the sump prior to this set up. The flow is unobstructed (no valve) back to the tank. I set the amount of flow I wanted going through the fuge first. I really didn't want it moving too fast but I did want some movement. Then I use the other ball valve (back into the sump) to regulate the flow back into the main tank...

seaham358 said:
looks nice... what type of silacone did you use and where did you get your plexi glass. I am getting ready to upgrade my 55 to a 90 and I am going to us a 30 for the sump/fuge..

great pics..

Thanks. I used 100% silicone from Home Depot and I used 1/4" acrylic sheets as opposed to plexiglass. Plexiglass, I believe, doesn't hold up over time. I was going to use glass, but since I'm not really too concerned about leaks (it's all internal) I just used a thick bead of silicone...

I put LR in the fuge today but couldn't find any macro at the LFS. Anyone know a good place to order from?...

That's exactly what I want to build for a 20 gal long. Did you come up with the idea yourself or did you find exact plans for it somewhere? This has given me the incentive to get off my butt and get mine finished.

Thanks for taking the time to post!

Tex said:
That's exactly what I want to build for a 20 gal long. Did you come up with the idea yourself or did you find exact plans for it somewhere? This has given me the incentive to get off my butt and get mine finished.

Thanks for taking the time to post!

Let's see...

Here's one site that's frequently linked from here: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Now that I've worked with acrylic, I'd really like to build one like that guy does. It's very easy to cut and route. I didn't use the proper solvent/glue only because I wasn't concerned with leaks in my drip tray. So I broke it down with acetone and used crazy glue and clamped the pieces together. But anyway, that's one of the web sites where I looked at a few designs.

But mostly, I just replicated my wet/dry with the bio balls chamber/drip tray and added the extra section for the refugium.

If I didn't already cut a huge chunk out of the back of my hood, I'd probably have added a separate chamber in the sump and relocated my skimmer down there. But the thought of adding more partitions to prevent bubbles and making the sections even smaller didn't appeal to me.

Also, I read about diverting the plumbing in this forum. So that's pretty much where the ideas came from...

Good luck with yours...

Edit:
Oh yeah, by the way the reason I went with the fuge at the "end of the line" spilling back into the center instead of in the middle was twofold. I wanted to keep most of the light confined to the fuge and I wanted to keep a slower flow rate through the fuge...

Sorry to bring this thread BTT, but I have a question.

Where can you buy the white crate you are using to keep the bio balls off the bottom?

Just saw you sump/fuge Reese, very nice.

Going Saltwater...........Expensive
Buying Critters............Pricey
Saving Cash Because you built a couple hundred dollar filter yourself..............Priceless

Where can you buy the white crate you are using to keep the bio balls off the bottom?

Generally they keep this stuff in the lighting center of the LHS. Its actually the grating that protects flourescent light fixters, and if I'm not mistaken its sold in a 2'x4' sheets. Its very easy to size with a set of side cutters (dikes for some people).

seedem HD and Lowes sells that white stuff......

I just finished my DIY sump / fuge and posted it in the DIY section. Looking back at this post I wish I cut the slots in the fuge section..... Still may try it with my dremil.. (sp)
Keep us posted on how yours holds out. I added the gussets on mine because I have heard that the walls sometimes gives out under the water pressure. A guy in the reef club Im in had his wall fail because of this.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=80218

Back
Top Bottom