My New SW Tank! So Happy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trotty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Thi sis My new Sw tank.
It's a 2ft cube, about 50 or so gallons.
I'm in the process of getting captive bred Occelaris clowns and an anenome....
here are some pics...

Attachments

• imgp0186_493.jpg
    imgp0186_493.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 47
  • imgp0187_764.jpg
    imgp0187_764.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 44
  • imgp0188_643.jpg
    imgp0188_643.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 47
In the bag is a Starks Damsel to get it started.

The tanks been set up for about 12 days, i'm impatient so i bought a fish before i get the clowns and anenome. The LFS said they would take the damsel back when i get the clowns for incompatibility reasons. I heard the damsels can get aggressive so i dont want to upset anything.

The fake LR is a moulded plastic with weights in it. When it new up close you can see it's fake, but after a couple of months with alge growth it looks the part. I was a bit sceptical at first, but now i think it looks pretty cool without the dramas of LR.

CIVICMAN do you think its too much air? or just the ugly airstone?

Airstone makes the tank look unnatural IMO

LR is used in an aquarium primarily for their filtration ability, not for the look. I doubt that fake LR has the same filtration ability as real LR, so ur tank will be considered a "fish only tank". U'll have to purchase better if not more filtration equipment without LR in ur tank.

Is your tank already cycled. You werent going to do it with the damsel were you? Please read article about fishless cycle.

Yeah from what you jsut said you are puttign fish in your tank that has only be setup for 12 days. That is not long enough to have a cycle run on your system. YOu could be dooming your fish to early deaths by not properly gettign yoru tank cycled.

If the plastic is in any way porous, it'd work along the same lines as real LR, but not nearly as effective since most live rock is soooo full of inner passages and holes etc.

And FYI, I buy live rock all the time for the aesthetics, not just for the filtration aspects.
I have many tanks now (more and more as time goes by!) and I love getting new rock and watching it in the QT tanks... all the mysterious life on the stuff (especially when ordered straight from the ocean packed in water!) is so cool and fascinating.

My 2 cents.. sorry for the threadjack.

If the plastic is in any way porous,

Is this possible? Im curious

And FYI, I buy live rock all the time for the aesthetics, not just for the filtration aspects.

I do buy LR for the look too. "LR is used in an aquarium primarily for their filtration ability, not for the look". By that statement, i meant that LR's primary use is filtration

Sorry didnt explain properly... I had established filter material from my LFS.
all test showed that it had cycled. i added food to the tank to produce the ammo spike.

As for the fake LR its extremely porus looking. I you look closely at the top photo it has pits and craters, But at the same time im not using it for filtration. I have a CF 1200 canister running glass noodles sponges bio balls and a chemsorb pad.
There is also a protein skimmer and 900lt power head for flow. i would say plenty?
I've also used 10kg of Natural Arogonite Spheres from RED SEA and another 10kg of crushed shell. theres a good 2in all ova.

I think i'll take the airstone out.....

Well, it does sound like a good turnover.. my own personal stickler would be the cc.. Others say it's a nutrient trap... I just think it collects crap too easily (same diff I guess heh).
As long as it's maintained properly it's no big deal of course.

And yes, plastics can be made porous.. nooks and crannies help of course, but having the surface 'breathable' helps alot more.. all depends on how realistic they want the plastics to be of course (aka more expensive).

GL on the endeavor!

Looks nice... Porous plastic??
Not sure what drama there is with LR? Its only the best filtration you can have for you tank. take things slow and keep testing after you add the damsel..

Can you add live rock later? or do you have to remove the fish?
i was thinkin bout adding maybe 5kgs...? would this be enough?
i know i have enough with fitration, will LR keep the tank more stable?

thanks for the feedback.

If you keep the airstone, you'll have saltcreep on everything above it. It'll form a salt crust in the hood in a matter of days.

once the tank is cycled and you have fish you need to either buy cured lr or get uncured lr and cure it before adding it to the tank.
with lr you get critters and mini dusters as the tank matures.. your not going to have a place for pods to hide and grow with plastic rock.. They live in the little nook and holes in lr.

your not going to have a place for pods to hide and grow with plastic rock.. They live in the little nook and holes in lr.

I'm curious too. You saying pods and critters cannot live and populate in that fake rock - with all those holes and crevices?

Back
Top Bottom