My new tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
slitherbomb said:
I disagree. Scopas tangs can live in a 75g but can live in a 55 for some time.

Getting as big as 12 inches... I'd say 125g, too... Never had one, so just going off its size... Just my opinion. But housing in the 55g and upgrading I see no issues. Once again, my opinion.

slitherbomb said:
I disagree. Scopas tangs can live in a 75g but can live in a 55 for some time.

IMO not this 55, with a yellow and a lavender tang and all the other stock. None of those tangs should be in their separately, let alone all 3 from the same Genus Zebrasoma. Tangs of the same body type don't get along with each other, these fish generally wouldn't get along in a tank 3 times that size. The only possible temporary saving grace is that you introduced them all together, but watch your water too, introducing too much too fast can cause ammonia spikes. If the Lavender Tang is a Purple Tang, that makes the situation even worse, they are very aggressive as far as tangs go. IMO your LFS should have never sold you all those fish, including the Mandarin, it was very irresponsible and greedy to do. Unless you are feeding live pods to the Mandarin he will die, even with a healthy population in your tank, he will quickly eat them all in a 55.
1 Tang might do Ok, 3 all of the same genus in a 55 will not.
The clam will need more light than 2T5's.
I would pick out which Tang you want to keep and return the other 2.
Hopefully this helps, good luck.

Is no place safe from the tang police? Honestly do you people think someone is going to see your posts and think to themselves, "you know that random guy online is probably right and if my fish will get 12 inches in a year or so then I should really hurry and take my tang back to a typical LFS that's not going to refund my money or give me credit". I mean really it's a tang, its not going to get full grown in a month. No one actually plans on keeping their full size tangs in a small tank for life.

Crazydave06 said:
Is no place safe from the tang police? Honestly do you people think someone is going to see your posts and think to themselves, "you know that random guy online is probably right and if my fish will get 12 inches in a year or so then I should really hurry and take my tang back to a typical LFS that's not going to refund my money or give me credit". I mean really it's a tang, its not going to get full grown in a month. No one actually plans on keeping their full size tangs in a small tank for life.

Ohh....well one problem she will have is ich. She can take the advice or not it's her choice. I agree that when other people get on someone like this that it doesn't make a good forum experience but at the same time he's right. Every part. Unless the lfs didn't even ask her what size tank or other inhabitants. Then it's purely the buyers fault and should know more about fish keeping before making such a purchase. She will learn once it all crashes.

Reefnoob84 said:
Ohh....well one problem she will have is ich. She can take the advice or not it's her choice. I agree that when other people get on someone like this that it doesn't make a good forum experience but at the same time he's right. Every part. Unless the lfs didn't even ask her what size tank or other inhabitants. Then it's purely the buyers fault and should know more about fish keeping before making such a purchase. She will learn once it all crashes.

Sorry to barge in and completely change the subject but I'm new to saltwater aquariums and I was just wondering about what you said with the ich....how can she get ich by having 3 tangs in there?

armyman16 said:
Sorry to barge in and completely change the subject but I'm new to saltwater aquariums and I was just wondering about what you said with the ich....how can she get ich by having 3 tangs in there?

Tangs are very prone to ich, and for some reason can get it very very easily. Sometimes it is because they are handeled wrong and become stressed, but its usually because owners purchase them and put them in tanks that are way too small. This stresses them out -> they get ich -> all of the other fish get ich -> if not treated they all die.

Yeah, actually. We do think that people who may not have all the facts might appreciate the voice of experience, or they probably wouldn't be on here. It's not Tang Police, it's people who care about quality of life for fish AND fish keepers having a good experience.
Tangs are often considered "ich magnets" because they have a very thin (compared to most other fish) mucous coating which makes them much more susceptible to the ich parasite. Essentially, adding three tangs to a tank is almost a guarantee of adding ich. This is why quarantine is so important.
To the OP: Beautiful specimen, but be prepared for problems as they grow.

Had no idea about the other tangs in the tank as well. I would ONLY keep that one tang if I was going to put a tang in a 55, but not 3.

This is coming from me, who has a purple tang in a 40 for about a month or two until I setup a 180 because my yellow tang was beating it up in my 75g tank.

Wasn't trying to be harsh, just offering advice as I see it, odds would have it that the stock in that tank won't last long, don't forget about all the waste that comes with 3 tangs. You will have a much better chance with one.
I would try to get store credit for the other 2, they really shouldn't have set you up like this. If they won't , try another store and forget about the first altogether.
Again, this is just advice, good luck with whatever you chose.

Laughing out loud (to crazydave06) to all others that posted. I accept all advice and make my own decisions. I no longer have the lavender tang. So there's only 2 tangs now. I will try not too take too long getting a bigger tank as I want my fish to be happy. I also have live pods propagating for the mandarin.

Back
Top Bottom