My new tank! *pics+vid* (56k=NO)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binaryterror

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I finally have it up and running after Christmas. The LR had some little pods and had a crab about 1 1/2 inches. There is also 2 super tiny starfish! Like SUPER small. About as big as a letter on your keyboard. It has been running for only 1 day so far. Started cycling with shrimp just today. I have the overflow on the side because I wanted the tank closer to the wall. The new skimmer is breaking in so there is tons of microbubbles. I am going to the LFS to buy a filter, so if anyone has any suggestions? I need one since I am maing this an Octopus tank. I was thinking the Magnum 350. Also, if anyone has any other suggestions for LR placement, it would be greatly appreciated. Here is the what I have:

55g tank
10g sump
ViaAqua SK300 protein skimmer
overflow box (not sure of brand)
Mag5 return pump
40lbs. LR
40lbs. LS

*VID*
dscn2041.mov

img_550498_0_394d09a58f21d740dddf15e1f7a4ca94.jpg

img_550498_1_642efe126193c0b51eec00745c59561b.jpg

img_550498_2_203c239ad00f580452876dd7968e98c3.jpg

img_550498_3_70d43c81831c79b1b00533522564773a.jpg

img_550498_4_5092656681ba709f5bb93ca15e77a6f6.jpg

img_550498_5_36481145596902134dac96e506ce25d2.jpg

img_550498_6_5c686eba39ec3c37e7c81b7950fc51c3.jpg

img_550498_7_d31a7f8a7329f0a6aeb6a60d514d1fe6.jpg

REALLY REALLY tight lid! Octopus are very strong and want nothing more than to find their way out of the tank. They can unlock latches and push off bricks, so make sure the tight fitting lid will keep them in and not let them die a horrible death on the floor. Also remember, they will lay an egg and die wihtin a year nearly always. These creatures are awesome, but do not live very long.

I am aware of all this. I have a lid, I just left it off since I have been re-arranging the rockwork. The species I am getting (Bimac) is less prone to escaping so I am happy about that.

That is good to hear, I feel sorry for people who get into things that they have no idea what is going to happen. Definitley post pics, I love these little guys, I could not bear to watch them die every year or so.

Yeah, but I think I can handle it. Hopefully I wont get too attached to one. But I have been reading. I know exactly what I am going to feed him and all of that.

Looks sweet! One MINOR suggestion. I'd reposition the heater. It looks like it's about 2-3 inches out of the "suggested manufacture" range (ie: water mark would be the top of your sump. I like actually laying it sideways towards the bottom for maximum heating at a horizontal setup.

Yeah, the vid is rediculous. I just watched it. I am kind of re-thinking the Octopus and maybe going to get fish. I am leaning towards Octopus but I am still not sure. My LFS has one. I am thinking of buying it from them. I just got back from the LFS also, and bought myself a wet/dry and a return pump. I will post updated pics in a minute.

I have heard octopus' dont live long in captivity only a year or so. i dont know if thats true or not.
That wet/dry you bought is agood unit. Lando and i have the 150 model. i love mine. What kind of return pump is that? a Rio 2500?

Yeah, I am getting an octopus. It is a ViaAqua. Not sure what model. The ammonia started rising today so the cycle has started! Also, will it stop smelling? My tank/room smell really bad. I am hoping it will go away as I take the shrimp out. Also, my skimmer is making any foam, is it because there is no fish in there? Thanks!

do you know what the ideal temperature is for the species your intrested in keeping is?
would a chiller be a good idea?
how do you plan on sealing up the HOB overflow to keep the octopus from escaping?
have you seen the water purity requirements of octopus?
have you heard of LFS's having morrish idols for sale?
I dont want to drag you down but very few people have sucess with octo's... I do know of one person online that has kept them and has one now if you would like me to PM you some informaiton about him I would be happy to get you in contact with someone that could answer your quesitons with experince in this area of fishkeeping..

how about this for an argument then. Someone who is inexperienced with the demands of the saltwater hobby, really should not even consider getting something that is labeled as "for the experienced hobbiest". There are reasons that these things are said.

About the octo. A good way to keep them in the tank is to line the rim of the tank with something with a similar texture to astroturf. Supposedly they hate that texture and they cannot succesfully grab onto it. A lfs of mine had a mimic octo in a 23 gal tank and they used the fuzzy side of velcro to border the top of the tank so it didn't slip into the rear compartments or crawl out. They also used the velcro to bind the lid to the tank. they told me it worked really great. Just something you should consider. Velcro can purchased at any hardware store in long strips for very cheap and if you're not happy with the results you can just pull it off. I suggest you give it a shot...

Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom