My nitrates will not go down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pre drilled is nice. Solves a lot of problems.
There are many ways to deal with nitrates. The trick is to make it happen without water changes.

Any suggestions on some frozen food. I just got some ocean nutrition formula one and I don't like the way it's made. Plus it messed with my protein skimmer

I really like reef nutrition, it's not frozen and they have a really good selection. I use roe , oyster feast and arctipods. If your LFS doesn't have it you can find it on amazon

The flake food I use is ocean nutrition prime reef food which I was told was really good for marine fish. I want to be able to mix foods for different feedings

You said the tank was set up for a few years before you transferred it, did you let the tank cycle again after the transfer? Also, what are your phosphate levels? Without phosphate, all your algae will do is for off. Another issue is probably your feeding. I have a 200 gallon system and I feed 18 fish about 3 frozen cubes. Anything not eaten in a system will cause your skimmer to go crazy, esp frozen bc of the crude and and percentage of protein. Also are you using ro/di for your water changes and too offs? Not will throw everything and your system may actually be doing its job which is causing your nitrates to go crazy. Just trying to think out the box...

Ok so no chaulerpa. I don't have anything in my tank except a mono a damsel a dozen red/blue leg hermits a few shrimp a emerald crab and 2 coral frags

If that is all you have in there now, I would take them out and replace your sand. Seems like a pain, but could save you a lot of head aches and heart ache down the road. Do you see black spots in your sand?

No. My sand is fairly clean looking. I vacuumed it yesterday when it got mixed up by moving it wouldn't most of the gunk come to the top

Anyways I've decided to brake this tank down in September and setting up a tank large enough to make me happy. If I'm going to be doing a lot of work I might as well go big. My tank looks good. Barely any hair algae. Little on the back glass which I'm leaving there and a little on the barnicles I have

Anyways I've decided to brake this tank down in September and setting up a tank large enough to make me happy. If I'm going to be doing a lot of work I might as well go big. My tank looks good. Barely any hair algae. Little on the back glass which I'm leaving there and a little on the barnicles I have
Honestly this is probably a good idea... Start over right, do the little things you found you wanted done over the past month and just start over. I would IMO.
On the plus side glad, to hear your trates came down

You could prob go custom and go tall. If you went acrylic or thicker glass. I had a custom built with all the perks I wanted and it is well worth it. With the custom stand and canopy to go with it, all a done deal was around 400 for around 75 gallons. It's a 3 foot platform but deep and tall.

Yea. I've looked into building an acrylic tank but a 6ft sheet of acrylic is very expensive. The same for thick enough glass. I looked into the glass when the back glass on my first 120 got broke. For $200 more I bought a brand new tank

Back
Top Bottom