My plan for an auto-topoff system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I use that type of FS and they work well. You just need to clean them once or twice a year. I have a differnt set up then you posted. Looks like it should work. keep us posted.

I was thinking making one out of scratch, with a simple float switch like the one posted. Then out of a battery powered squirt gun modified to fit on a gallon jug of distilled water when the float activates, the pump from the squirt gun pumps water up to the tank Let me know what you guys think. I will post some pics when it is done.

I got an email from the switch guy and he sent them out today...I'll take next day service.

Wiring up those float switches is a bit more complex than you may at first think. What you CANNOT do is simply run the current of the pump through the float switch.

The float switch needs to run on a low voltage power triggering a relay that switches the higher voltage of the pump.

It's a safety thing.

I was unable to read the instructions you referred to. Hopefully, that is what they suggested.

Solid-state Relay NO with a 3 - 32 VDC coil and a 120 VAC @ 3 amps
Full wave bridge rectifier
2 K ohm 1/2 watt resister
Three wire power cord
Float switch Grainger 2A554, McMaster 50195K65
Duplex outlet
External duplex outlet box

The reason the link didn't work is because the software thinks 03 is always an acronym and messes up the link. Copy and paste the entire thing and it works.

I use those same switches and just recently added the relay. Less than $10 in parts and once I found a easy to read diagram, I was set. I am currently using a 2 float set up. One is the main switch for the pump in the top off reservoir and the other is a water too high back up switch to kill the pump.

I'm going to use a third to make sure my RO container doesn't run dry and burn out my heater.

Life's been getting in the way, but I hope to finish this in the next couple of days. I've done some rethinking on it, and some experimentation, but I think the end result is going to be great! I'm photo documenting it.

looking forward to the documentation.

I have very similar float switch. I got 3 for $21 as well, but from ebay. (a link someone here posted quite a while ago).

Did you end up using the switches inline (as their advertised) or did you put them through a relay as seaham cautioned?

Actually, 2 relays. I'm running the switch side off of 7.5VDC with an LED to drain the residual DC voltage.

I've switched the 120VAC side so I can turn the entire thing off when I am doing any kind of water changes.

It's becoming more complex, and has taken some trial and error. Fun stuff.

Back
Top Bottom