My Rock Carpet costed me more than what it was worth!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyHabits

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been in this hobby for approx 10 months now. I was cleaning & rearranging some corals & I got close to the anemone & I got stung. Didn't think anything about it, rinsed my arm with hot water & alcohol. 5 hours later, around 2am in the morning I was in the ER with severe pain in my arm, fingers swollen, BP up. After intense research & phone calls made by the DR. to other DR.'s.....My Urine was collected & rubbed on my arm. It worked! MRI for headaches. Back to the ER on the 3rd day....IV pain meds given. I had to isolate myself from my family & go to a quiet dark & cold place & rub my arm with urine & take pain meds every 3 hrs.
Now I know I am severely allergic to bee stings.
2 weeks later the anemone disappeared.
Conclusion: if you are new to this hobby, you might want to go to your family Dr office & test for any allergies!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425529770.847459.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425529817.369458.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425529841.620346.jpg

MyLifeMyHabits

Wow, that sucks.

You could have kept the nem, just use gloves when in the tank. You might honestly have problems with a lot of corals as well because they have the nematocysts.

Aiptasia or majanos could be a nightmare for you

I'm not allowed to touch anything inside the water. The water also restarts the allergies because the anenome is constantly releasing poison. I didn't take it out. It relocated some where in the tank..

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I used to have problems where I would have a tightness in my chest after working in the tank... thankfully I ignored it long enough that it stopped happening... probably wasn't the best decision lol

My brother in law got spat at my something in his tank when we was bagging things up to move house. He was quarantined and they were going to take out his eye for an investigation!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nothing in my planted tank can kill me!! That's a rough one man.. lesson learned though.. when in doubt? Pee on yourself! Seriously.. works on jellyfish stings so not all that crazy. Hope you're feeling better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nothing in my planted tank can kill me!! That's a rough one man.. lesson learned though.. when in doubt? Pee on yourself! Seriously.. works on jellyfish stings so not all that crazy. Hope you're feeling better.

I beg to differ. There is some nasty bacteria in your tank that would absolutely love to kill you given the chance.

I beg to differ. There is some nasty bacteria in your tank that would absolutely love to kill you given the chance.

Fair enough.. won't actively sting me though:p

There is an AA member that reported having a severe shellfish allergy and gloves were needed when doing maintenance in the tank.

I can't use bloodworms because I had a severe allergic reaction and ended up hospitalized. I have to keep an EpiPen by my tank now.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

shoulder length gloves work wonders after experiencing this !
it was 3months of pure torture..
saltwater stings suck
img_3177242_0_86568e7687156f6fd1c70f075545d610.jpg

Yup, severe Bloodworm Allergy too! Almost ended up in the hospital because I didn't know what it was. Happened 3 times, each time more severe.

Then one day was cleaning off the bookshelf and my Betta book fell out and I picked it up and opened it and, as I am easily distracted, started reading and there on the page it opened to, said some people have severe bloodworm allergy, and Bingo!

I'm allergic to saltwater, but not to the toxin released by the nematocysts... I guess that may only be sensitive skin to salt... My arm and hand become all red, then dries out, I need cream when I finished the aquarium jobs.

Didn't know anemones sting like that :p I would say watch out for hydroids, anemones like the aiptasias, and some corals... Can you touch a torch coral, or any euphillias?

After reading dozens of horror stories about Zoa's and Palytoxin, I promised myself that I would never ever even think about buying them..

Then my mum got me some for my birthday... Now I'm in the process of setting up my own Zoa garden ?

I have a LOT of zoans in my 20g, never had any problems with them... I already dropped a rock on a frag by accident, some died, but the frag growed back (and more lol), but never had a coral loss due to zoans palytox. But I'm running a carbon....

I have a LOT of zoans in my 20g, never had any problems with them... I already dropped a rock on a frag by accident, some died, but the frag growed back (and more lol), but never had a coral loss due to zoans palytox. But I'm running a carbon....

Haha, I'm not arsed about the coral dying, I'm arsed about ME dying!

Haha, I'm not arsed about the coral dying, I'm arsed about ME dying!

There's no danger, don't eat them, wash your hands after you manipulated them, put glasses if you frag them and keep your mouth closed.... Should be ok...

There's no danger, don't eat them, wash your hands after you manipulated them, put glasses if you frag them and keep your mouth closed.... Should be ok...

I think I still have my welding gear...

That should suffice.

Danger is relative, the slight numbness in my hand when I moved my coral around after that rock hit the Zoas made me a little concerned (- different situation/thread.) acouple days ago. Now I am at least thinking a little more about the dangers. Didn't want the Zoas/Palys at first either due to toxins, but then their beauty is pretty persuasive!

Back
Top Bottom