My Saltwaterfish.com experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pghjeff71

Aquarium Advice Regular
I also posted this under "product reviews" but figured I would post this where it would likely get read more.

This was my first time ordering fish online. I was torn between this company and Foster and Smith; however Foster and Smith didn't have the fish I wanted in stock so I went and ordered from this company. I placed my order on a Saturday and had my livestock on Tuesday. I order a cleanup crew, 2 Heni butterflies, a hippo tang and a 'false' Percula clown. One of the butterflies arrived DOA. The clown had something wrong with it's mouth (looked like damage) and died after a few days. The surviving Heni developed ich. The blue tang didn't show any symptoms for a few days but also developed it. fortunately they are in a QT and are going through Hypo. They are doing really well otherwise.

The blue hippo tang did not fall under their "6 day guarantee" and I see why-the thing arrived all emaciated and pale and looking like it hadn't eaten in weeks. It's now grazing on Nori, eating heartily and getting a bit plumper and the color is now very blue and beautiful. There were no problems with the cleanup crew (20 hermits, 10 snails and a lettuce nudibranch). Drip acclimation is key.

I did mail back the two deceased fish and haven't heard from their customer service on the status of a credit being applied to my next order.

All in all I'm not sure if I had a good experience with this company or not!! I love being able to get fish that I can't get at my LFS (or at double the price), but I'm still debating if this was worth it. That's my rant for the day :)

I'd suggest calling them. You're supposed to take a picture of the deceased fish and they're supposed to send you a replacement on a day you specify.

I haven't ordered any fish from them, but the anemone they sent me was the own they advertised as the $80 carpet, not the $25 one I ordered. Not that I mind receiving more than I paid for -- but it isn't the kind that will host. :(

Their packaging rocks. Box, styrofoam, double-bagged with the nice thick bags, with metal clamps holding the bags closed.

...as far as Ich, you're going to have that chance no matter who you order from.

Hopefully your dead fish get replaced. ;)

I know for myself that would definately fall in the 'bad experience' category. I'd take my business elsewhere...

I'd give them a chance to make it right. I've ordered from them and my experiences have been great. I am planning another order right now.

Yeah I was truly disappointed to see the DOA butterfly and was equally upset to see the damaged clownfish. It just refused to eat and thus wasted away. I didn't see anything about taking a picture but I did mail the dead fish back to them. I will admit their packaging was excellent and so was the fast service. Since I'll probably have some credit towards replacement I will re-order from them in the future and see if my opinion changes. As for having the lfs store order for me, again it's a matter of cost. It would still have cost me more to order this livestock through them versus saltwater.com and that includes the $10 packing fee too. :wink:

I've ordered twice before, the first time I had blue reef chromis in my order. Well, one arrived almost dead, laying on its side. It never recovered. I always do drip-acclimation for almost 2 hrs. not including bag floating in the tank. I also had an urchin and a lobster that died within 2 days. I sent the specimens back and got credit thru e-mail for my next order. They don't call, and you are not supposed to call either (according to their instructions--stupid alright). But they did answer.

My second order was a clean up crew. Half of it arrived dead. This time I didn't send anything back. I'm just not ordering anymore from them. Too much hassle. :evil:

I guess I am lucky then. My LFS has orders constanly coming in. They will order anything for me. There prices are usually $2-3 less per fish compared to liveaquaria, plus I do not have to pay shipping.

I had a good experience w/ them. I bought all inverts though(starfish, shrimp...), no fish or corals. But that was about a year ago when they actually had more items in stock then out of stock :roll:

Brenden said:
I guess I am lucky then. My LFS has orders constanly coming in. They will order anything for me. There prices are usually $2-3 less per fish compared to liveaquaria, plus I do not have to pay shipping.

LUCKY!!!!!

SWfish.com finally sent me an e-mail a few days with the credit for the 2 fish I lost. Unfortunately this means I still have to place another totalling $79; My tank is at capacity so I guess I'll be ordering more cleanup critters. So I guess all in all my experience wasn't TOO bad with them. The rest of the fish and inverts are doing fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom