my sand just started getting this stuff on it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

200 gallon reef

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here are some pics . . . .my sand just started getting this stuff on it. I am using an ro system . . . I believe I was over-feeding. . . Cut back about a week ago. Someone told me phosphates. . . I purchased a brown power that is supposed to remove phosphate, but now about 5 days later . . Still there. Any suggestions?

Thank u

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120428_171224.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120428_171224.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 116
  • ForumRunner_20120428_171241.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120428_171241.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 110
  • ForumRunner_20120428_171259.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120428_171259.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 93
Looking on my phone and I cannot see for sure, but it looks like cyanobacteria. If it is even if you starve it of nutrients you still have to manually remove it.

Holy cow thats a massive diatom bloom. Have you always used RODI water? It will pass in a few weeks to a month, but I'm guessing ya may as well read up on cyanobacteira so ya know what to do. Your tank will go through a few pesky algae blooms, just be ready for them so they don't get out of control.

Tank has been set up about 2 years. . . Have always had an rodi system. . . I just did change the filters and di mix about 2 weeks ago. Which is normal routine. I couldnt count the number of times I have done that.

I figured it out ! Appearently DI has a shelf life. . . I bought a bag 4 months ago & only used half. . . Then a week or so ago I changed all the filters and DI . I have a built in tds meter on my system. I checked it and it reads 48 out. . . The DI is already needing to be replaced.

Anyone know the shelf life of DI?

200 gallon reef said:
I figured it out ! Appearently DI has a shelf life. . . I bought a bag 4 months ago & only used half. . . Then a week or so ago I changed all the filters and DI . I have a built in tds meter on my system. I checked it and it reads 48 out. . . The DI is already needing to be replaced.

Anyone know the shelf life of DI?

6 months. Generally. Depends on how much water you make.

Back
Top Bottom