My tank is started....sort of.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stanley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a choice today: Write a paper that's due Monday morning or mess around with the reef project. That was a no brainer.

(I uploaded some photos of where I'm at so far in my photo gallery for those so inclined.)

I didn't like the way the back of the stand looked. It just looked wimpy to me so I took it to the shop and added some plywood braces to the back. I feel alot better about it now.

I'm still waiting for a big-box-O-stuff in the mail that has my heater, skimmer, canister filter and powerheads. I also went ahead and bought a retro light kit w/2 96W PC's. I priced out the kit from AH Supply and others and the price on this one was good enough to just forget about making a hood. This one has the 3 moon glow lamps in it too. Night time should look pretty cool in my small apartment. If I decide later that I need MH, I'll take this one apart and salvage the innards and build another with some MH in there too. I actually don't think I could have bought all the parts for what I paid for this one with bulbs, a fan and the groovy moon lights:

http://www.championlighting.com/e/e...roducts/productinfo.html&item=main:pcn36296-a

I put off my paper some more and figured I'd check the tank for leaks. I started adding water and figured I had to fill it up to really check the whole tank so I did. Then It just seemed stupid to empty it only to re-fill it again later so I went and bought my bucket-o-salt, a hydrometer and a Rio 600 to circulate it all. I'll stick the Rio in my quarantine tank (that I don't own yet, yet.) after I get all my stuff in the mail.

I bought the bucket of Red Sea Salt and it came with a 5 gallon container to keep a mix handy and it was on sale. The instructions were for Lbs. per Gallon!? I don't have a scale, not even a bathroom scale. So I guessed on the conservative side. I'll check it in the morning.

What would be the Cup per Gallon for the Red Sea salt? Anyone? Anyone? I put in 1 Cup per 5 gallons. This is probably half of what's required. But I really didn't want to write that paper so I had to do SOMETHING.

I feel better now that there is at least water moving around in there. I had nightmares that it was going to just explode while I was filling it and drown my neighbors downstairs but no such luck. I need to locate some sand and get that in there. It should have gone in before the water but it'll get to the bottom just fine on it's own, I figure. After the much anticipated "box-o-stuff" arrives I'll order the live rock and I may buy some here locally too that came out of someone elses tank who moved and couldn't take it with him and sold it to the LFS. Variety is the spice of life.

Now for that paper. Well, maybe tomorrow.

That's what I thought the kid at the LFS said but I only really trust the owner of the store and he wasn't there. He's the only person I've seen in there more than twice.

Thanks a million (or at least a half a cup).

I'll poop the paper out just fine, thanks. I work better under pressure anyway. 8O

Stanley

Back
Top Bottom