My tank, its got a LEAK!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Umpa Lumpa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got this used tank from a friend. I've had it setup and running for about 2 months now and today I find its got a leak. The water is comeing between the plastic molding on the bottom on the front side and on the right side. Its not bad but it seems to be getting worse.

I think I can fix it but my problem is the plastic molding on the bottom. It seems I'm gonna have to tear it up to get it off. So where would I get more plasic molding to replace it when i take it off.

Try buying some Aquarium Sealant from your local hardware store to try and patch the leak. In the Home Depot, it's right next to the glues. This may slow the leak for the time being, but your best bet is to just get a new tank..they aren't too expensive. Good luck!

What i would recommend doing is empting the tank...Which you will have to do anyways. Is the leak on the bottom seam or on one of the sides running down to the plastic rim? Once you find where the leak is you will have to take some 100% silicon and reseal the leaking spot. If its on the bottom where its leaking isnt as bad if its on an edge seam on the side. If its the bottom seam just seal the crap outta it since you wont see it with you sand in there anyways. Im actually resealing a tank right now that i bought that way, good deal i figured i would reseal it and make it work. HTH

New silicone will not bond well with old silicone, so you will need to monitor any patch job carefully. Depending on the size of the tank, you may have to strip the inside of all silicone and then reseal the entire inside.

You can purchase replacement molding from either All Glass Aquariums or Perfecto. You may also be able to purchase one from your LFS, but they will likely have to special order it.

You have bigger problems then the water leaking out. A leak represents a loss of integraty in the tank. This is a very bad thing. Think of the amount of water pressure from the inside. This is just waiting to blow. Sooner or later, it will. The only solution I can recommend is to buy a new tank. A 30gal will not set you back too much money. It is a lot cheaper then coming home and finding all lovestock, sustrate, LR and everything else all over the floor....dead.

I have had great sucess repairing leaking tanks. Just have to make sure you strip the silicone outta the seam and reseal good. I like DIY projects and i just resealed a 28 gallon AquaView tank with built in filtration. Just make sure you have no bubbles or cracks in the seal between the old and new silicone....Also taking the new silicone over the old will help seal it up alot better. HTH

Back
Top Bottom